June Hatch-A-Long

Omg I hope you have a big coop! Your gonna be overrun with chickens! What kind did you get?

My coop is pretty big..

The little chicks are orpingtons and ee's. I also got a pair of jersey giants today.. I think they're 6-7 weeks old but I don't remember for sure. I took a quick look at the eggs and it seems like there are 8-10ish that don't seem to be developing. I'll give them a couple more days, candle again, then I'll know more.
Always an adventure..

My coop is pretty big..

The little chicks are orpingtons and ee's. I also got a pair of jersey giants today.. I think they're 6-7 weeks old but I don't remember for sure. I took a quick look at the eggs and it seems like there are 8-10ish that don't seem to be developing. I'll give them a couple more days, candle again, then I'll know more.
Always an adventure..

Oh so your set ! Thats awesome congrats on the new additions! I want to add some orpingtons to my flock. Im going to have to add on to my coop tho if I want more chickens/keep the ones from this hatch... I have a few friends that may be interested in taking these chicks tho

Oh so your set ! Thats awesome congrats on the new additions! I want to add some orpingtons to my flock. Im going to have to add on to my coop tho if I want more chickens/keep the ones from this hatch... I have a few friends that may be interested in taking these chicks tho

I'll probably have a bunch of roosters to get rid of. If enough chicks hatch, I'll end up getting rid of some of those too.. I'll see how it goes.

I'll probably have a bunch of roosters to get rid of. If enough chicks hatch, I'll end up getting rid of some of those too.. I'll see how it goes.

Same here. I even bought replacement roosters this year to add when they are mature and cull out my mixed roosters. Might sell some of my hens that are mixed also. Or just keep for what I refer to as "general laying flock" these are the ones for table eggs I sell. Since I am breeding BSL's I may not. Have yet to decide 100%. Not allowed to sell WLH this year on wife's request/orders. But roosters will live happy until fall. I have people that want to buy laying hens and CL dried up last couple weeks since I got my newest adult additions. Later in the summer/early fall I will probably be able to sell what I want because the stores will be not selling birds anymore and people around my area don't like shipped chicks. So started pullets or 2nd year hens will be great sellers.

Same here. I even bought replacement roosters this year to add when they are mature and cull out my mixed roosters. Might sell some of my hens that are mixed also. Or just keep for what I refer to as "general laying flock" these are the ones for table eggs I sell. Since I am breeding BSL's I may not. Have yet to decide 100%. Not allowed to sell WLH this year on wife's request/orders. But roosters will live happy until fall. I have people that want to buy laying hens and CL dried up last couple weeks since I got my newest adult additions. Later in the summer/early fall I will probably be able to sell what I want because the stores will be not selling birds anymore and people around my area don't like shipped chicks. So started pullets or 2nd year hens will be great sellers.
Why won't stores be selling birds anymore?

Can I join? I just got an incubator so I haven't hatched anything yet..

On 5/11 I set 35 eggs. I am replacing the old hens that are now soup chickens.
Anyway I have a mix of them in there. My Rooster is a Black Australorp. My Hens are Black Australop, Black Sex Links and White Leghorns.

Since this is my first time I would be happy if I can get one egg to hatch.

Can I join? I just got an incubator so I haven't hatched anything yet..

On 5/11 I set 35 eggs. I am replacing the old hens that are now soup chickens.
Anyway I have a mix of them in there. My Rooster is a Black Australorp. My Hens are Black Australop, Black Sex Links and White Leghorns.

Since this is my first time I would be happy if I can get one egg to hatch.

There the attitude more people need when starting I think. I said that 1st run around and was telling wife "If I hatch just 1 (Had 48 eggs set) I didn't fail". She turned all kinds colors, but I explained better and she calmed down. If I learn or have 1 bird from a hatch its not a failure to me.

There the attitude more people need when starting I think. I said that 1st run around and was telling wife "If I hatch just 1 (Had 48 eggs set) I didn't fail". She turned all kinds colors, but I explained better and she calmed down. If I learn or have 1 bird from a hatch its not a failure to me.

I have learned tons just from reading everything on this forum. I'm just hoping that my eggs are fertile. I tried candling the other night but I think it's too soon for me to see anything yet.

Also our power went out and the temp dropped way down. When I got home the thermometer said 92 degrees so I hope that doesn't affect this time. I've already told my husband I want to hatch out some baby ducks. My theory is why pay for something I can do myself? It just probably gonna take me a little bit to figure out the kinks in my new incubator.

I have learned tons just from reading everything on this forum. I'm just hoping that my eggs are fertile. I tried candling the other night but I think it's too soon for me to see anything yet.

Also our power went out and the temp dropped way down. When I got home the thermometer said 92 degrees so I hope that doesn't affect this time. I've already told my husband I want to hatch out some baby ducks. My theory is why pay for something I can do myself? It just probably gonna take me a little bit to figure out the kinks in my new incubator.

How far along are they? Generally I wait until D7 for 1st real candle. The definitive at D10. I wait to pull clears and bad until Lockdown. Don't think I have had a popper ever. This way a I do save a couple chicks that are later in development. And since most of my eggs are colored the extra time helps ME see better inside the eggs. My CX pullet eggs are easiest to candle, even easier then WLH. And ironically better layers right now, go figure.

Back
Top Bottom