Jungle Fowl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by max13077, Nov 1, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm anticipating a dead end here, but I guess it never hurts to ask. Has anybody ever heard of people raising Jungle fowl? I’m not even sure if that’s exactly what they’re called. I'm sure they are quite rare.

[​IMG]

In case people have never seen it, Jungle cock "eyes" are an extremely popular(and outlandishly expensive(as in hundreds of dollars retail for a cape)) material used in tying flies for fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having raised chickens for meat and eggs for a while, I never really thought about jungle fowl before in a husbandry sense. Fly tying I think it gives me a good feeling cause I know when I take a bird; it will not only feed my family, it will also be used for tying flies. I take pride in that a resource is being used to its fullest possibilities.

So if anybody has heard of them or seen where I might possibly get a few, please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you mean Jungle fowl?

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Sooo glad you asked this question! I have thought about this as well- hope you get some good info [​IMG]

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Look what you did!!!!

I thought somebody on here might know. The problem was I think the same thing has two or more different names. That or I only knew it by the name it's been called in fly tying circles. I thought there was only one kind of jungle fowl. So that's why I stopped when I thought they were this:

[​IMG]

So I'd be interested in knowing about the availability of "Grey Jungle Fowl."

Here they are!!! OH I'M DROOLING!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks chicken lady!!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Those birds are GORGEOUS!

6. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Cackle will have them occasionally under the rare breeds section, 5 eggs for 15 bucks

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    that's it I must have for subjects for my paintings

8. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
  9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, you are using the feathers from the COCKEREL... so yeah, Jungle Cock I would imagine is NOT to be confused with jungle HEN [​IMG] Aren't they gorgeous!!!! I also am hoping to get some eventually.....

10. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

So are these like, showable? Because they really are one of the most beautiful breeds I've ever seen, I'm in love!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by