Just a reminder

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
With breeding season just around the corner it is important to have our breeding peas in top shape which means getting them wormed and such.
Last year i learned something, when the Males trains start getting long they no longer dust bath and this leaves them susceptible to mites and when hens go to sitting they go threw the motions of dust bathing but really don't get clean, so i think it is important to go ahead and treat them for mites with ivermec 1 cc at the tail and another cc between the shoulder blades even if you do not see mites or have never had trouble with them.

I have never had feather mite issues but found them on a hen and a peacock so everyone got treated.

Last edited:
I wish someone would come volunteer to help me catch about 60 breeders to do that. It just kicks my a...tail end. The only thing worse is NPIP inspection in June.
If I were not an hour or more away I would come (I don't trust my truck much anymore. It has had several issues before, but the last issue it had was the fan belt broke when I was at a traffic light and luckily I was near home so it didn't take long for my mom to come get me, but I am weary about the truck now). I need more experience in catching peafowl since I don't have to do it as much. I used to use the net, but recently I see why a lot of people just grab them with their hands. The net gets frustrating to use and I feel like I have more control just grabbing them. So you have to catch your birds for the NPIP? I thought the people come and catch them for you or is that too much of a risk that they could hurt a bird?

I never thought about the males not taking dust baths when they have a long train. That makes cense and I can't think of a time when I saw a fully feathered peacock dust bathing.

So Zaz, how do you worm free-range birds? Do you feed them the paste wormer or catch them up? I give my birds medicine in the water which seems to work really well and most of them drink it right after I put the medicine in. I keep it in several small water dishes so that if the medicine settles a little it won't be as bad as if it would be in a larger bucket.

My males will dust bath with the longer tails but it has to be dry and they make a mess of the tails.

When you get NPIP tested you have to catch a significant portion of your breeders for blood testing, probably 70% or so.

We will catch young birds by hand but not older birds. They have way to much strength in the legs and wings. Too much of a chance of one of us getting hurt.

So do you just make an appointment for when they come? Do they get results the same day? Does all this cost more when you have a lot of birds?

In CT it is $1 a bird. I called them in 2012 and asked to be put on the list and the lady sent me all the info but they never called me back. I called again this year and was told that they are doing the people who show the birds first and will call me when they are done and set up a date with me but again no call yet. I did talk to someone who shows the chickens and she said it too them forever to get to her as well. She said she kept bothering them and they ended up charging her for her entire flock of 500plus birds instead of just testing the 300 like they told me. I will call them again after my wrist surgery and see what happens cause they have to get done this year for what I am hoping to do at the end of 2014 :)

So do you just make an appointment for when they come? Do they get results the same day? Does all this cost more when you have a lot of birds?
FREE in Florida. Just look up the program and call Jennifer. She will give you your inspectors name and contact info. You don't know all the results that day.

Jennifer Jennings-Glover, Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, 2145 Lambert Lane, Tallahassee 32317. Phone: (850)251-1226, FAX: (850)921-3647. E-mail: [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)][email protected] [/COLOR]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom