Just a reminder

So for NPIP testing do they test every single bird on site? It would be a disaster catching my waterfowl. On occasion, the cage gets bloody from ducks crashing into fences. It sure is not pretty seeing a $500 duck go flying really fast into a metal fence. A peafowl breeder in NY had a swinhoe pair, but NPIP people were careless and twisted its leg, which made the bird useless. What happens if any bird tests positive?

The lady told me on the phone that if one tested positive they would destroy all the birds on my land. Yes they test them on site and my waterfowl also go into the shed at night all I have to do is leave the door open and they all walk in. When test day comes I will just catch one at a time inside the shed and have the test done and then put the tested birds outside in the pen
big_smile.png

Last edited:
So for NPIP testing do they test every single bird on site? It would be a disaster catching my waterfowl. On occasion, the cage gets bloody from ducks crashing into fences. It sure is not pretty seeing a $500 duck go flying really fast into a metal fence. A peafowl breeder in NY had a swinhoe pair, but NPIP people were careless and twisted its leg, which made the bird useless. What happens if any bird tests positive?
If they test positive for one on the reportable diseases, like Exotic Newcastle Disease, they will cull your flock. Some States also test for mycoplasma synoviae (MS) and mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG), but I don't think they cull for those. Best to check with the State vet to find out what finding any of the diseases means for you.

-Kathy

The lady told me on the phone that if one tested positive they would destroy all the birds on my land. Yes they test them on site and my waterfowl also go into the shed at night all I have to do is leave the door open and they all walk in. When test day comes I will just catch one at a time inside the shed and have the test done and then put the tested birds outside in the pen
big_smile.png
With ornamental ducks it is not so easy. Multiple birds would be easily injured by then, if any do not die.

Do they really test for newcastle in CA?
To be honest, I don't know... There is a State vet that goes by all of the feed stores about once a month and checks their poultry, but I forgot what he said.
old.gif
Pullorum and flu maybe? Anyway, none of my necropsy reports have ever listed a Newcastle test, but almost all have had salmonella listed as a specific test. California did have a Newcastle outbreak many years ago and I think it was a pretty big deal.

Here is a list of reportable diseases in CA:
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/pdfs/CA_reportable_disease_list_poster.pdf

-Kathy

Source:http://cpif.org/national-poultry-improvement-plan-npip
National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP)

The California Poultry Health Board (CPHB) is the official state agency which administers the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP). The NPIP is a state, federal and industry cooperative program that began in the 1930s to coordinate state efforts aimed at eliminating certain diseases from poultry breeding flocks and hatcheries. Since the program’s inception, the NPIP has added provisions and changed programs to meet the needs of the poultry industry. The provisions of the Plan, developed jointly by industry members and state and federal officials, establish testing standards and protocols used to monitor and control diseases spread through the reproduction process.
The CPHB certifies chicken, turkey and game bird flocks to be free of certain poultry diseases. Flocks are tested under NPIP provisions at the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratories located throughout the state. Being a member of NPIP allows for the safe movement of hatching eggs and live birds within the state, across state lines, and into other countries. This voluntary program protects both the consumer and the industry.
The NPIP program consists of two programs: Part 145 for Breeding Poultry and Part 146 for Commercial Poultry. The California Poultry Health Board manages the H5/H7 Avian Influenza Control Program, Part 146, for any table-egg producer, raised-for-release upland game bird premises, and raised-for-release waterfowl premises and any commercial upland game bird, commercial waterfowl, meat-type chicken or meat-type turkey slaughter plant, including its affiliated flocks. These members may participate in the Plan when the producer or plant has demonstrated, to the satisfaction of the Official State Agency, that its facilities, personnel, and practices are adequate for carrying out the relevant special provisions of this part and has signed an agreement with the Official State Agency. The Program provides for the payment of indemnity for costs associated with eradication of the H5/H7 subtypes of low pathogenic avian influenza in poultry. The H5/H7 subtypes of low pathogenic avian influenza can mutate into highly pathogenic avian influenza, a disease that can have serious economic and public health consequences. This combination of a control program and indemnity provisions is necessary to help ensure that the H5/H7 subtypes of low pathogenic avian influenza are detected and eradicated when they occur within the United States.
Click here for the NPIP website for more detailed information on the program.
Part 145 NPIP participants are classified under the following categories:
Subpart B: Egg-Type Chicken
Subpart C: Meat Type Chicken
Subpart D: Turkey
Subpart E: Hobbyist and Exhibition Poultry, Backyard Flock, Waterfowl and
Game Bird Breeding Flocks
Subpart F: Ostrich, Emu, Rhea and Cassowary
Subpart G: Primary Egg-type breeders
Subpart H: Primary Meat-type breeders
Subpart I: Meat-type Waterfowl breeders

NPIP Part 145 disease control programs include:
  • U.S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean
  • U.S. Mycoplasma gallisepticum Clean
  • U.S. Mycoplasma synoviae Clean
  • U.S. Mycoplasma meleagridis Clean
  • U.S. Avian Influenza Clean
  • U.S. H5/H7 Avian Influenza Clean
  • U.S. Salmonella enteritidis Clean
  • U.S. Mycoplasma gallisepticum Monitored
  • U.S. Mycoplasma synoviae Monitored
  • U.S. Salmonella Monitored
  • U.S. Sanitation Monitored
Part 146 NPIP participants are classified under the following categories:
Subpart 6B: Commercial Table Egg Layer Flocks
Subpart 6C: Meat-Type Chicken Slaughter Plants
Subpart 6D: Meat-Type Turkey Slaughter Plants
Subpart 6E: Commercial Waterfowl and Upland Game Birds, Raised for Release
Upland Game Birds and Waterfowl
Part 146 disease control program includes:
  • U.S. H5/H7 Avian Influenza Monitored

Most states just test the backyard/small flocks for Pullorum and AI as well as possibly some MS/MG samples. Technically those flocks only have to be tested for Pullorum.

I did not want to scare anyone out of the NPIP testing. If they had END they would know it.

I remember the END outbreak in CA. It was pretty bad. Really no reason to test for END until an outbreak is feared or as a method to prevent transmission through shipping. It is so contagious but relatively short lived that only by testing every bird frequently would you have any valid results. It is the poster child though for not letting anyone but you near your animals especially those that work around other flocks.

Back
Top Bottom