Just about ready to give up :(

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cattbird, Jun 12, 2009.

1. cattbird

cattbird Songster

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    I really thought I might be able to build my own coop after looking at all your great ones..

I even found a bargain giant rabbit hutch and tried to convert it. But I think i'm going to admit defeat. Ive borrowed my partners power saw, drill etc but the I cant seem to cut the wood straight. I don't know how to put the frame together.
    Ive attached a photo of how far I've got, If anyone can direct me at all I'd be grateful, or if you think I should rip it apart and start again.

My plan was 3 stories, the lower being a chicken wired run. In the upper compartment where there is a hole I was going to insert a nest box.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Songster

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    It looks like you're off to a good start! How many chickens are you going to keep in there? Don't give up!

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    Don't give up! building your own coop is so rewarding, and it's not looking half bad!! The three levels might be whats messing you up... that doesn't sound like an easy task.....

You have a great foundation started to build on... the second floor could definitely work, but you may have to extend it out more, make it twice as long as the nest box on top, then you could give them a ladder going from the second floor to that open door on top.then the bottom could be fenced off as a run, but depending on how many birds you have, they will probably need more of an extended run so they have lots of space to run around.

It looks great though, keep us updated, you can do:thumbsup it!

4. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Songster

May 4, 2009
    I don't get it. What's wrong with it?

Maybe you're just tired? It looks good to me, and I even like the blue!!

5. sangel4you

sangel4you Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I think it looks like youre doing a great job! Where exactly is your problem at? I agree with the other poster, you may need to come out more for the run and nest box, but it looks great as a start! don't give up!

6. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Looks great to me!!

Dont give up!! [​IMG]

7. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I realised my idea may not come across very well how I typed it, so I drew you a sketch! I think something along these lines would make a great coop!

[​IMG]

there would of course be a roof over the extended second floor... I didn't draw one so you could see the ladder [​IMG]

Oh, and of course you'd need a second ladder to get from the second floor to the ground... Good luck and keep us posted!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    if you are stressed about framing get those metal angles that screw to the wood helping to keep it square. looks like you are doing a good job to me. Thy using a t-square or triangle to make your cuts straight and use goggles so that you dont squint your eyes to see your cuts (if you arent already)

trial and error is how I learn and build and looks like you are off to a great start!

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well horse pucky! If you don't have chickens yet what's the big deal? It looks great so far, though I can't tell how big it is.
    What I did was draw a rough plan on paper first. Get's lots of books at the library on coops and improvise from those.
    As for straight I've seen some pretty good crooked coops. Just make sure all the joints are tight as you can. Use screws instead of nails. They have steel joint gizmos at Home Depot or I would assume any home build it store. I used these to hold the corners of each panel of my chicken run with. $1.76 each so figure 4 for each corner ain't cheap but I couldn't cut a straight line to save my life. I ain't no quitter and If I had you in front of me I'd slap you in the back of the head and say Knock it off with the feel sorry attitude, (lovingly mind you) you can do this! Love ya

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Do you have a tech high school nearby? Perhaps one of the carpentry students would be willing to give you a hand...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: