Just amputated a chicken leg

View attachment 2845318it's looking darker and there's more spots than this morning. I'm starting to get worried again. Does it still look like bruising? Why is it suddenly bruising now? I gave the injection in the opposite side today and there's no bruising. What could be causing it?
Have you tried iodine across the stitches?

Initially I was horrified as well. I don't think this person ought to be banned though.

Often times anesthetics will kill, I've seen plenty of chickens with gaping holes and exposed bone recover without any help whatsoever. Chickens are tough like that. This little one is being doted on and cared for now.

This person isn't telling others they ought to not bring their own birds to a vet. TundraFang also contributes a lot to BYC, this emergency operation shouldn't be grounds for banning in my opinion. Pixar is going to recover and live a long life because of it. TundraFang did the right thing, I didn't see it quite this way at first but it's very clear to me after watching little Pixar get bigger. See how close Pixar was to the camera?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of learning here, can we scroll back and look at the initial photos? If chicken bruising is green, I feel like this hen perhaps just had a very bruised leg. I don’t know. Perhaps jumped the gun with amputation? Again hindsight and a buck 25 will buy you a coffee. And it’s safe to say that in a lot of cases the hen would have been culled or left to suffer. But I’m curious if anyone with avian medical training can comment on the original pictures. Chickens are incredible resilient as we can see here. Glad she’s doing well and is safe ♥️

Back
Top Bottom