Foot/leg amputation? Needing suggestions.

prin23

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2017
Oregon
Hi all, my little Willow is growing up quickly and it’s hard watching her struggle so much to walk. She’s now been to two separate vets and they both suggested something different.
One thinks amputation of the foot/lower part of the leg would significantly make her quality of life better as the useless foot wouldn’t be in the way tripping the good leg with every step.

The other vet says not to amputate, as the surgery is painful and hens sometimes don’t adapt to amputations well.

Willow is such a sweetheart and I really want to do what is best for her. She spends a lot of time laying down. She can get herself to the food and water but uses her wing as a crutch a lot. And the bad foot is constantly in the way as it bends inward and under her. She gets winded easily and her nails scratch her good leg causing it to bleed (even trimmed) I tried wrapping the foot in vet wrap but it gets dirty and she pecks to get it off.

I’ve had pigeons do very well with one leg, but this is my first chicken like this.

Willow hatched out like this, the woman I got her from wasn’t sure why. The first vet took X-Rays, says her bone density is fine, nothing fractured. She thinks it’s nerve damage.
1106EB91-37CD-4C7E-9023-5701E243D518.jpeg

Tough question when even 2 vets disagree. So the bad leg stays folded up under her, and flops when she moves? Does she have any use of it at all?

I've had 2 serama hens that lost a foot to frostbite over the years. One was several years ago, she lived a long life after she lost it. Another was just this year and she is coping fine now. But nature did the amputation for us, so I didn't have to intervene. But I know they can be fine with just one leg/stump.

The toenails scraping the other leg would probaby bother me the most, and I'm sure its not pleasant for her either. I have no idea if toenails can be removed, or maybe you could round them off so they can't scratch the good leg? Superglue a small plastic bead around the bad toenails? What about just amputating the toes? Might check YouTube for other possibilities.

Tough question when even 2 vets disagree. So the bad leg stays folded up under her, and flops when she moves? Does she have any use of it at all?

I've had 2 serama hens that lost a foot to frostbite over the years. One was several years ago, she lived a long life after she lost it. Another was just this year and she is coping fine now. But nature did the amputation for us, so I didn't have to intervene. But I know they can be fine with just one leg/stump.

The toenails scraping the other leg would probaby bother me the most, and I'm sure its not pleasant for her either. I have no idea if toenails can be removed, or maybe you could round them off so they can't scratch the good leg? Superglue a small plastic bead around the bad toenails? What about just amputating the toes? Might check YouTube for other possibilities.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions!

She still has feeling in those toes but has no use of them or the leg. She trips on it every time she tries to hop with her good leg, and falls over.

That’s good to hear your hens still lead a good life, that’s all I want for Willow, for her to be comfortable and happy.

The green is how her leg hangs/curves underneath, the purple is where her foot is.

The other photo shows her callus that is forming at the joint.

Attachments

• B3807343-4C7A-4FB7-B528-B7D5088A7597.jpeg
    B3807343-4C7A-4FB7-B528-B7D5088A7597.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 9FAFE424-E9F1-47D6-B553-13D11CAF7AB8.jpeg
    9FAFE424-E9F1-47D6-B553-13D11CAF7AB8.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 29
Such a beautiful girl!!
I have a feeling that the callus could eventually restrict circulation to the foot, which wouldn’t really be a bad thing, in the long run. She might experience some pain, but she probably will manage pretty well. You will likely have to make special accommodations for her for the rest of her life. Keep food/water closer and as easy for her to reach as possible, clean bedding area, etc. so she can stay clean and healthy in a smaller area than if she could move around like a normal hen.

I’d be curious to see how she handles it when it comes time to lay eggs. I figure it’s hard to watch, but you obviously love her and will take the best possible care you can.

Oof....

I have one hen that lost her foot, but not her leg, so she uses the stump to steady herself when standing. Even then, she puts a lot of pressure on her remaining toes, we've watched over the months as they've gotten thicker, likely from bearing so much weight without much support.

I'm afraid I can't offer advice on what to do apart from saying of it was my bird, we would have put her down already. But mine are not pets like some people's are either

Back
Top Bottom