Just amputated a chicken leg

You've done a great job with him! It seems like everything is going great!

Is this the right situation for a chicken sling? It seems like it could help, but I'm not sure.
I tried to get him to sit in a sling but he wouldn't stay in it. I rolled a towel up and tucked it under his wing for support and he seems fine with that. I'm currently working from home so he's constantly supervised and I can stand him back up if he falls.

I tried to get him to sit in a sling but he wouldn't stay in it. I rolled a towel up and tucked it under his wing for support and he seems fine with that. I'm currently working from home so he's constantly supervised and I can stand him back up if he falls.
Not that it’s the problem here….but once again, if you didn’t see my post…
It really is a little girl. No comb at all. She’s probably about ~3 months old.

Not that it’s the problem here….but once again, if you didn’t see my post…
It really is a little girl. No comb at all. She’s probably about ~3 months old.
He is smaller than my 2 month old Australorps and his previous owner confirmed he is a little over a month old. I'll post a close up of his waddles when I get home.

The incision is looking really good!
View attachment 2843449He took a couple hops towards his food dish and he seems to be more active than yesterday. I kept scooting his food away from him to encourage him to 'walk' and he jumped into it and sat there for a while😂View attachment 2843467I think he's realized I'm not going to hurt him and he has finally stopped biting me. I'm not sure when to take the stitches out. Does anyone know when should remove them?
I’m thinking it’s a pullet as well. It was probably biting you because it was in pain. Great job on the amputation!

20210923_131457.jpg
Here is a close up of his waddles. As you can see his comb is black so it's hard to see any color on it. He's only a month old and has bigger waddles than my two month old pullets.
20210923_132017.jpg
Here's my Australorp pullet Gemini. She is two months old and has smaller waddles than him.

Wow such a clean amputation! I saw someone in a Facebook page I'm on post a video of their hop-a-long hen who had it's leg amputated by a predator as a pullet. She was getting along so well! I have faith yours will recover well, but do agree with others on the suggestion of antibiotics. It's better to be safe than sorry in situations such as this.

Wow such a clean amputation! I saw someone in a Facebook page I'm on post a video of their hop-a-long hen who had it's leg amputated by a predator as a pullet. She was getting along so well! I have faith yours will recover well, but do agree with others on the suggestion of antibiotics. It's better to be safe than sorry in situations such as this.
I really hope he recovers! I just gave him his first dose of penicillin and honestly the injection was more stressful than the amputation. I was so afraid of going too deep or getting the dose wrong! Thankfully it went well and he's not showing any adverse reactions to it.

I really hope he recovers! I just gave him his first dose of penicillin and honestly the injection was more stressful than the amputation. I was so afraid of going too deep or getting the dose wrong! Thankfully it went well and he's not showing any adverse reactions to it.
You are rockin' it out!

Back
Top Bottom