Just amputated a chicken leg

Did you have to cut some flesh and tendons....like removing the whole thigh?
I'm thinking about the anatomy when I remove the thighs when butchering a bird.
Yeah, it was pretty quick because Pixar was really tiny (less than a pound). If it was an adult bird I probably would have had to amputate at the knee instead of the hip but I wanted to make sure I removed all the necrotic tissue.

Pixar was in pain before I even found him. He would have died a slow and painful death if I had not helped. He wants to live. I will not put down an animal that has a chance to live a happy life. Yes, it was painful and I don't have the money for a vet or anesthetic or painkillers but he isn't in pain anymore. He is happy and healthy and he will be able to live a full life. He isn't afraid of me anymore and will sit in my lap and eat from my hand. He knows I won't hurt him anymore. I posted this thread to get help and advice from people more experienced than me. I never claimed to have medical training and I was completely honest about the lack of painkillers. No one has said anything until now, when Pixar is completely healed and healthy. I did speak to an avian rescue and they suggested the same things as people on this thread. You are entitled to your own opinion but banning someone for having a different viewpoint seems wrong.
This is the reality of animal keeping. Sedating birds can be a dangerous issue. You did what was needed and saved the chickens life. Well done. Banning? Yeah no.

I just read this whole thread and I AM SO IMPRESSED with you Tundra!! What a brave girl you are and what a responsible thing you did to rescue this little tuffy. I can't imagine the misery of dying from gangrene then maggots then renal failure etc. Slow and horrible death! We sometimes have to make tough decisions and work with what we have. I might keep some iodine on hand from here on out. I can't believe she's getting around so good. You saved this one's life and I for one am proud of you. 😉

For the sake of learning here, can we scroll back and look at the initial photos? If chicken bruising is green, I feel like this hen perhaps just had a very bruised leg. I don’t know. Perhaps jumped the gun with amputation? Again hindsight and a buck 25 will buy you a coffee. And it’s safe to say that in a lot of cases the hen would have been culled or left to suffer. But I’m curious if anyone with avian medical training can comment on the original pictures. Chickens are incredible resilient as we can see here. Glad she’s doing well and is safe ♥️

I just read this whole thread and I AM SO IMPRESSED with you Tundra!! What a brave girl you are and what a responsible thing you did to rescue this little tuffy. I can't imagine the misery of dying from gangrene then maggots then renal failure etc. Slow and horrible death! We sometimes have to make tough decisions and work with what we have. I might keep some iodine on hand from here on out. I can't believe she's getting around so good. You saved this one's life and I for one am proud of you. 😉
I'm a guy but thank you! I have some iodine now but hopefully I'll never have to use it. I strongly believe every animal should have a chance at a full and happy life. I have over 120 chickens and every one of them has a name and a story. I can't imagine the pain Pixar was in but I think I made the right decision to help.

For the sake of learning here, can we scroll back and look at the initial photos? If chicken bruising is green, I feel like this hen perhaps just had a very bruised leg. I don’t know. Perhaps jumped the gun with amputation? Again hindsight and a buck 25 will buy you a coffee. And it’s safe to say that in a lot of cases the hen would have been culled or left to suffer. But I’m curious if anyone with avian medical training can comment on the original pictures. Chickens are incredible resilient as we can see here. Glad she’s doing well and is safe ♥️
It was definitely gangrene. The smell was indescribably horrible and the wound was full of puss. I freaked out when I saw the bruising afterwards because I didn't know bruising was also green. When comparing the bruising with the amputated leg the coloring is pretty different.

Screenshot_20211017-194308_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211017-194207_Chrome.jpg
Here's the pictures to compare. The gangrene in the leg spread to the foot overnight and it was completely unresponsive by morning. It looks like it's in the tissue under the skin instead of on the skin like the bruise. Obviously I'm not a vet but I did talk to a rescue and they said the same thing

Back
Top Bottom