Just an idea for an image database, any thoughts?

Hello all,

In the meantime, I did find a MUCH better way to organize this if we go ahead with it, using Weebly free websites:
http://peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com/index.html
(Although I am still trying to figure out how this works)
This is much more organized, I like it! I think it is well laid out. Colours with subheadings for each pattern is just what I was thinking. I also thought that a separate section comparing the males of each pattern (ie. bronze bs, opal bs, purple bs, etc..) so that if a person knows they have a solid wing bird, they could just jump to that to compare what colour they had? With 3 GB of space, it should give us a good start anyways, especially if it will probably take a few years to compile the majority of the colour and patterns anyways.

6littlechickies - would the UPA be interested in hosting this particular site while relinquishing a large portion of control over the photo database, its layout and contribution, as it is not necessarily going to be relying on UPA members to supply the photos and do the work on the database??

Last edited:
Thanks Mmmaddie, I changed the subheading as you suggested, good idea.
I'll see if I can figure out a way to make separate male/female/chick pages without getting too confusing!

Same for your comment Arbor, I'll see if I can figure out how to make some kind of comparison page as you suggest (although I don't have anything to compare yet). By the way, with Weebly there is UNLIMITED storage!

I would say probably keep all ages of birds on one page, just have captions below to say what they are. Its probably better to have the young male and young female beside each other anyways, so as to see the distinction more clearly.

Suggest maybe to add the comparison pics for patterns at a later time. We need to get a base going first - get yourself wet before diving right in
big_smile.png
. But we're definitely on the right track. And that is AWESOME that you have unlimited space....

Not being a member of UPA,as well as other contributors on this forum,I think it would cause friction among UPA members if other peafowl fanciers such as myself offered to help build such a photo pea database that is in anyway,shape or form connected with UPA. 6littlechickens,,not in any sense of the word being arrogant,but how long has UPA been in existance? 20-30 years now? or more? It simply amazing to me that a organization with all members having a common interest still,,still has not compiled such a complete-comprehensive photo database.And when a new color of peafowl is added,why no immediate pictures of the Peacock and Peahen? Seems like the organization has too many Indians and no leadership that can delegate and dictate authority to achieve forward progress.
BYC has over 300,000 registered users? I think on any given day more posts in the Peafowl section here are submitted than on the UPA forum.I've seen threads on UPA asking for help and days go by before anyone answers,,here normally within an hour or so after a post someone extends the olive branch for help or advice.I would bet this forum gets more views per day(Peafowl) and posts than the UPA forum does.
I personally will not get involved if it's a cooperative effort between everyone and the UPA membership.I'm sure since UPA is controlling everything in their project it wouldn't be prudent to accept help to an outsider that wasn't a UPA member.Pictures would probably only be allowed by first submission if you were a UPA member first.
6littlechickens,if you and I both had quality pictures of say an Charcoal B/S male and submitted them for this UPA photo database,since I'm not a UPA member my photos would be put at the bottom of a list or pile chosen last.I know some UPA members that wouldn't allow otherwise.There is much less prejudice here and not as many egos to bruise.

Last edited:
Not being a member of UPA,as well as other contributors on this forum,I think it would cause friction among UPA members if other peafowl fanciers such as myself offered to help build such a photo pea database that is in anyway,shape or form connected with UPA. 6littlechickens,,not in any sense of the word being arrogant,but how long has UPA been in existance? 20-30 years now? or more? It simply amazing to me that a organization with all members having a common interest still,,still has not compiled such a complete-comprehensive photo database.And when a new color of peafowl is added,why no immediate pictures of the Peacock and Peahen? Seems like the organization has too many Indians and no leadership that can delegate and dictate authority to achieve forward progress.
BYC has over 300,000 registered users? I think on any given day more posts in the Peafowl section here are submitted than on the UPA forum.I've seen threads on UPA asking for help and days go by before anyone answers,,here normally within an hour or so after a post someone extends the olive branch for help or advice.I would bet this forum gets more vies per day(Peafowl) and posts than the UPA forum does.
I personally will not get involved if it's a cooperative effort between everyone and the UPA membership.I'm sure since UPA is controlling everything in their project it wouldn't be prudent to accept help to an outsider that wasn't a UPA member.Pictures would probably only be allowed by first submission if you were a UPA member first.
6littlechickens,if you and I both had quality pictures of say an Charcoal B/S male and submitted them for this UPA photo database,since I'm not a UPA member my photos would be put at the bottom of a list or pile chosen last.I know some UPA members that wouldn't allow otherwise.There is much less prejudice here and not as many egos to bruise.
X2!

I think it is great for some one like me who is computer iliterate. I'm new with peas and still trying to learn the language

French

If you do not want to work with the UPA, so be it. We are not a biased organization so your thoughts are misguided. You have sought and gladly been given info through many phone calls to UPA members and specifically BOD members, including myself. If you do not want to assist, then please by all means leave the UPA out of your posts. This organization has done nothing but offer friendship to you yet you constantly attempt to belittle or mock it.

Question: Would you guys want the database to be image + caption only?
Or do you think it would be good to include information about the color/pattern that appears in the images? (for example, most distinguishing features, or a brief paragraph about what combination of birds would produce that particular color/pattern).

By the way, I don't know anything at all about the UPA, but it's clear that some incredibly knowledgeable and experienced peapeople are involved in the organization. Of course whatever database we produce here on BYC could (and as fbc observes, maybe should) be completely separate from the UPA, but I really wouldn't want to think of this as an "us vs. them" thing.
All of this is going towards the same purpose - just to help other peapeople, right?
That's what we do here in BYC pealand!
smile.png
Help each other.

Question: Would you guys want the database to be image + caption only?
Or do you think it would be good to include information about the color/pattern that appears in the images? (for example, most distinguishing features, or a brief paragraph about what combination of birds would produce that particular color/pattern).

I think at this point, it should remain an image + caption only. I also had another look at the website. Would it be good to have the base colour as a subheading under the colour name as well? When you drag the mouse over (for example) Indian blue, I didn't know right away that I had to click on the Indian Blue to see the pics, if it was another subheading along side the other patterns would it be more simple? Just something I noticed, but I still like the looks of the site
thumbsup.gif
. If you want some help, let us know, I could probably put in a bit of time too if you need, winter time is much slower for me for work.

Back
Top Bottom