Just an idea for an image database, any thoughts?

I will do that if I ever get decent pictures. I guess what surprised me was that in reading the posts about this subject, so many people were soooo worried that there would be discrimination in picking the pictures that would be used and then I went to the site and had a hard time finding any pictures, making their concerns kind of funny. If we are going to do this, can we get a link in the stickies? I have bookmarked the site but it needs a way for people to find it and know about it.

I haven't had much time to play with this lately either. The base is there, we are basically awaiting submissions for all colours and patterns. Since none of us have all of them, I figure a great number of these will be added to during the coming year(s). THere may be a diversion of focus as the year progresses, as there is discussion of a registry as well. Seeing as the registry and photo database have different goals, we will have to see how it comes along. There very well may be some overlap between the two also. Both projects are long term, and have not been seeing any updated progress on the UPA version either.

So the UPA photo database is not making much progress? I sent in some photos to them but I really hope those with lots of varieties will send in their photos too. Why is it that some of the large peafowl breeders seem to have old photos of their birds? They have so many varities if I had that many I would want to showcase them and take new photos of some of the varieties.

A lot of the UPA photos seem old and of poor quality, I would love to see a data base that shows the birds from hatch till they are mature.

Quote:
I haven't read the entire thread yet but in answer to this I would expect that the better photos should be used. Not all photos are going to come in clear or in as good of shape as some others would. Also, different cameras catch color differently than others. I would expect that if 40+ photos are received on one variety that probably 30 of those would not be useable. That is just my opinion.

We just completed a new website for our German Shepherds.We used GoDaddy website tonight and we chose the premium package they offered with Unlimited pages and 50 gigabytes disk space and 1000 gigabytes of bandwidth (which is way too much per month) We had old pictures from our past website we took out of our database and added some to the new site.My daughter built about 90% of the site in 2 nites. I wrote most of the text,she copied to Notepad and then uploaded it on the pages. I also bought a watermark ID software that has unlimited lifetime use called Total Watermark,was $34.99 for a one time fee.We needed to get the site up asap so did not watermark any pics but that program is very easy to use. With an unlimited page website each color could have it's own link,that would open a page with nothing but pics and a short description of the exact color and mutation.The page would scroll continually dowward to the bottom,it is unlimited length wise as far as we know.Each website template is set up diffrently with colums and rows as well as how you want to have your navigation links,either vertical or horizontally.Since I already had GoDaddy hosting,and my domain name for my old website I paid them $114 for this for another year.In this pricing I also bought 12 months of search engine optimization which I think was $35. You can buy a domain name for $12.99 a year,,this website for peafowl wouldn't need SEO because there is so little Peafowl specific websites out there now that keywords and key phrases would easily keep the site on the first page,,not the same as dealing with German Shepherd dogs.
If people wanting to submit pics had the customer number and password each could then upload information as they gathered it. We still have a few minor things to work out on our site but for the most part it is the way we want it and we have the ability to add-change things daily if we want to from text to pictures which is key to keep your rank high on search engines.Doing this isn't as difficult as you may believe. If my 17 year old daughter can do this with no prior website building experience Anyone can add pics or information that has a computer with a good internet speed connection.

Last edited:
Not many people work on the UPA site anymore ... Problems with some of the management. I think we have had 5 web masters in the last year or so. not sure if there is one now or not.

I made my website but I do pay for the space. I do not know how big it is but I know my husband said I have barely touched on what I can add to it. I recently offered to make a page for the local poultry club I just joined. I have been working with this site for so long that it seems easy now. It does take a lot of time though.

Oh, and I wanted to say that I like what has been done so far on the peafowl color site. It is nicely done. The layout is easy to navigate, unlike some I have been on the past 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom