just ate his head!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken granny, Mar 10, 2008.

1. chicken granny

chicken granny New Egg

Dec 6, 2007
    Fincastle Va
    OK you all I need to figure out what killed my silki rooster! Gees he was a spicey little thing but I raised him and he always went 10 miles to beat me up, but the other day I went out to feed and he didn't run up to me to beat me up! I looked down at the bottom of the run and there he was...(broke my heart!) the only thing that was gone was his head. No feathers around no blood...that I could see...Nothing! any one have any idea what it could of been?[​IMG]

2. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    Sounds like a raccoon to me. Possibly a weasel, but I live in Fincastle too and have only seen one in my 41 years here.

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Raccoons bite the heads off chickens and drink the blood. The heads are usually left at a distance from where you find the body. Those little "hands" of raccoons may look delicate, but they are deceptively strong.
    I'm so sorry about your silkie.

4. chicken granny

chicken granny New Egg

Dec 6, 2007
    Fincastle Va
    Fincastle! YaY. I have caught racoons and they really don't bother my chickens...(at least I don't think they did) Weasel? well I have never seen one of them, but...just the head? Was really a puzzle for me. I grew up in Parrott, Va. (backwoods) and there never seen a Weasel, but there are a lot of people that said they are in Fincastle? Wonder if true?

5. chicken granny

chicken granny New Egg

Dec 6, 2007
    Fincastle Va
    hencackle
    DRINK THE BLOOD? OHHHHH are they part vampires? just drink the blood?...........ah

6. dozen chickens

dozen chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Western Colorado
    My neighbor lost 3 chickens one night to a fox, and he just took the heads off. DIdnt eat them, just took the heads off, and left it all laying there. She then lost the remaining 2 a couple nights later the same way. I dont know if you have any foxes around, but it sounds a lot like what happened to her.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If the dead are numerous and the heads have been decapitated a weasel is your culprit.

I had a coon kill my EE pullet and he took the head and a couple of nibbles of breast meat and ripped her open...

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im not sure if you have MINK in your area...but I have seen "personally" the remnants of a mink attack. The remove the head...and sometimes take it with them. Im so sorry you lost your little Silkie roo.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like a weasal or mink to me. Coons will take the body and eat them all.

10. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    Is your run predator proof? if so, it's gonna narrow it down to a weasel or mink. They can go right thru the regular chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by