Just Butchered My Cornish X. Now I Feel Terrible.

I'm not going to make a comment about people going soft. That's not what this is about. Nor should it be read that way. There are no victims here.

Response to processing a chicken (or any animal) that you have raised yourself is sort of like handedness - it relates to how you are wired, though it can be trained to some extent. Sit down, unpack your feelings, give 'em a good look over. Some, perhaps most, of what you feel is honest. But some portion is a learned response to modern societal expectations, I suspect you will find. Those you can cast aside as an obstruction to what needs doing.

Of course, how you raise your birds has some effect on the stregth of any emotional attachment as well - its nature and nuture both, given force by experience. SOme people can't have birds underfoot without forming those attachments, or in their laps, or name them, or whatever. If you are going to continue to have chickens, particularly if you hatch chickens (as I do, every three weeks - 6 hatched in the last 24 hours +/-), you are going to have to find a management method (including culling/butchering) that works for you - or you should give serious thought to abandoning your chicken keeping hobby.

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out - that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse." - Robert A. Heinlein

I happen to be a pretty lousy human being - its how I'm wired. People like me are needed in the tribe (much less than we used to be). For butchering, for science, for when pragmatism is required. OTOH, without people who feel intensely, who empathize well with others, its quite likely the family, the tribe, never would have grown into society.

Takes all kinds.

Agreed with many of the others on this older thread. If you didn't have feelings, you'd probably be considered a psychopath. It's hard to take the life out of any animal and not feel guilty that their life was taken for your food, but we thank God for providing the food and we always say words before we butcher any animal. You're not a snowflake, we live the same type of life and believe in things you mentioned in your post, but taking a life can be emotional, to any extent.

Yes - to end a pet's suffering. I would find it very difficult to do regardless. I had a meat chicken pet - unintentionally because somebody just left her in my front yard. I didn't know at the time that she was a meat chicken.
And I can tell you that even a meat chicken has a personality. lol She was smarter than my bantams...she conveyed clear and understandable emotions with every sound in her vocabulary. I could pick out her voice in a crowd of chickens. And she cried out when she died...she had a heart attack (I did not see it coming). Sure, she was just food - as long as you didn't know her... But I find myself missing her as I do when I lose a dog.
I know how you feel. I did have a meat chicken as a pet. He did not have a long life but he was fun to have around.

I know how you feel. I did have a meat chicken as a pet. He did not have a long life but he was fun to have around.
Meat chickens are adorable, I let 4 pullets out of their cage for about an hour each morning. I move their feed around a few times and let them find their way back after they are done eating. Two of them end up next to a rooster's fly pen, they peck at his food, and he doesn't bite them. They seem to enjoy each others company. The other two go straight back to their cage, they know I will let the hen bullies out next. They are going on 4 months and I feed them layer pellets once a day. They look so cute when they run for the food.

Last edited:

Thanks to all for all the great replies! I just got a new hen today. I was trying to get a Rhode Island Red Bantam, but when I got there, she was a lot younger than I was expecting. The breeder said she was 2 1/2 months old, but she looked more like 2 1/2 weeks old, so I decided to go to another supplier to buy a golden sex links hen. They're supposed to be a good beginner chicken, but they're prone to reproductive problems and don't live as long as I would like. But, she's a step above a meat chicken - in terms of pet potential.
Plus, I just got a whole lot of experience with chickens in a very short time (due to problems with my Red Broiler) - I've had almost no issues with my bantams, so I didn't gain much experience with them...but I think I'm now much better prepared for an egg bound hen...and I've already dealt with egg yoke peritonitis (twice) and ascites...
These chickens are supposed to be great laying hens that produce big eggs. We'll see, but I doubt that she can compete with my duck hen's eggs. lol. I love eggs as much as the next person, but I mostly only like to see eggs from my hens (duck and chicken hens) because it's confirmation that they're feeling alright.
If you like eggs, then you'll really like duck eggs. When I first got my duck hen, her eggs smelled strange...kind of like a cross between pond scum and gaminess. LOL After being on a new diet for a couple of months however, that strange smell disappeared and now her eggs can't be beat! If you like dark chocolate, then you like chocolate...Duck eggs are like the dark chocolate of eggs...chicken hens' eggs are like milk chocolate...The duck eggs have a much STRONGER egg flavor and are a lot more calorie dense (even if they weren't larger, they'd have far more calories).
My bantam rooster got so excited to see his new hen that he smacked his food bowl with his foot and knocked his spur clean off! I had to use contractor's chalk to stop the bleeding. They were together for a few hours today, but I am keeping them separated now - until tomorrow.

Meat chickens are adorable, I let 4 pullets out of their cage for about an hour each morning. I move their feed around a few times and let them find their way back after they are done eating. Two of them end up next to a rooster's fly pen, they peck at his food, and he doesn't bite them. They seem to enjoy each others company. The other two go straight back to their cage, they know I will let the hen bullies out next. They are going on 4 months and I feed them layer pellets once a day. They look so cute when they run for the food.

Be careful not to get attached to them! My red broiler used to run up to me whenever I walked into their pen (or even to the outside of the pen). She would make little cooing sounds and I would stick my finger through the chicken wire and pet rub her waddles. lol She ran to me for protection - and I think to feel secure.
I'm no peta member, I've had to put a few animals down - and I did not feel bad afterwards, because 1. they weren't my pets, and 2. they would have just suffered for a long time before dying anyway...
It's not inhumane to eat chicken - I eat chicken at least twice a week! We have to eat to live (nature's way, not ours) and we need to have some animal protein in our diets... But I think what is inhumane is what we did to chickens - on a genetic level. Giving them serious health problems (while simultaneously making them smarter)...in exchange for a faster growing bird with more meat on the bone.
By the way, I think I may have figured out where my red broiler came from. I think the most likely scenario is that one of my neighbors left her in my front yard...she also had Marek's disease. But not to wipe out my bantams...I think they got this bird because their kid's school gave their kid a chicken egg to raise...I've been reading a number of stories of people who ended up with meat chickens as pets this way.

I remember how I felt after my first. Not exactly terrible but an unpleasantly tight feeling in my stomach. A lot of "meaning of life" philosophical thoughts to go with it, like who was I to take the life of a beautiful creature that never harmed me.

It took a while to sort things out. Now I look at it like, I love the flock but individuals come and go. I realize it's totally in my power to give them their best possible lives, and a relatively quick and painless death - so that's where I focus my time, money, and energy.

Though they're equally important, I still find it easier to get out of bed on Hatch Day than on Dispatch Day.

i made a thread earlier about what to do after butchering my cornish x. see link below

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/about-to-butcher-cornish-x-need-help.1475243/

this was my very first time butchering a chicken, i have cleaned and processed fish and clams before and never felt bad, but this time i feel so terrible.

i am pro gun, pro hunting, but damn, this hits me hard. i am a fully grown man and aint some social justice warrior or special snowflake.

anyone else on here felt the same after killing their chicken??

here is a pic. it weighs a little over 8 lbs in the bag. he is 12 weeks old.

it must have weighed about 10 lbs before removing the skin, organ, feathers and other body parts.

View attachment 2717139
I kept my meats separate, did not name, or get too attached. I still have a couple of weeks without eating chicken!.

Back
Top Bottom