...just BUYING a chicken run?

Yep....sounds about right.
Kits for large run type enclosures will come in panels and they won't quite 'snap' together.
Even if you are handy, any sturdy and predator proof structure ain't gonna be cheep.
Consider something that can be added onto, so you don't have to by the whole thing right now
:hitdislike!! (not your post...just reality. haha)

We're in the process of putting up a pre-fab run - but here in France, there seem to be a number of available options. The one we chose was from a place in the UK https://www.feelgooduk.net/product-category/galvanised-pet-cages-and-runs/ though I bought it through Amazon.fr to simplify the import stuff. (Getting trickier as Brexit looms...)

We opted for a 12 m2 model that has proven to be relatively easy to put together. The frame more or less snaps together. You have to cut the PVC coated chicken wire used to cover the frame, leaving an apron - though I think you would probably want to reinforce that with hardware cloth given the predators in your area. (Used to live in the Bay Area in CA.)

A quick look at the US Amazon site shows me that there are a couple of chicken runs available that look similar to what's available over here. Take a look and see what you think - maybe hire a handyman type to put it together for you.

We're in the process of putting up a pre-fab run - but here in France, there seem to be a number of available options. The one we chose was from a place in the UK https://www.feelgooduk.net/product-category/galvanised-pet-cages-and-runs/ though I bought it through Amazon.fr to simplify the import stuff. (Getting trickier as Brexit looms...)

We opted for a 12 m2 model that has proven to be relatively easy to put together. The frame more or less snaps together. You have to cut the PVC coated chicken wire used to cover the frame, leaving an apron - though I think you would probably want to reinforce that with hardware cloth given the predators in your area. (Used to live in the Bay Area in CA.)

A quick look at the US Amazon site shows me that there are a couple of chicken runs available that look similar to what's available over here. Take a look and see what you think - maybe hire a handyman type to put it together for you.
That's it. I'm moving to France :) Thank you very much for your insights.

I'd call around some fencing companies to see about getting a quote. If you figure in cost of labor it may be more worth your while to pay a little more and remove the hassle of install and assembly.

That said, you'll still probably need to do some reinforcing yourself, i.e. an apron, hardware cloth up a few feet on the sides, maybe netting over the top if there's no roof, etc.

That's it. I'm moving to France :) Thank you very much for your insights.
I Know, Right!?
Have seen these before.....still need to add better mesh probably, but the framing sure is nice.

https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/walk_in_chicken_run/

The large one looks pretty good. (10'3 x 13'3 x 6'8) You want something you can walk in and clean out.
Oh, we've got Omlet over here in France, too. Was looking at those walk-in runs - but we went with the feelgoodUK one based mainly on price. I figure any pre-fab run is going to have to be reinforced based on local conditions. We're lucky we don't have all that many predators (though I guess we'll find out) plus, the run is located in the donkey yard - which is where we plan on free ranging the chickens (only 2 or 3 to start with). The donkeys do provide a certain level of "protection" just by being around. Neighbors on both sides have chickens and have had them for a while, so we've got some basis for comparison as we get things set up.

Our chicken acquisition looks to be postponed for another week. They're predicting a nasty heat wave this week, peaking right around Wednesday (when the poultry market in Brou takes place) and I don't want to add to the chickens' stress levels by transporting them to a new home and then having to cope with temperatures approaching 40 C (100 F). The heat is supposed to break the following weekend - so we're postponing our trip to Brou until the following Wednesday.

I paid to have my coop-and-run in one built - found a great local company. I followed recommendations from the forum here and looked at Craigslist, which is normally something I wouldn't go near, but I did find this family company's website from it.

I posted a question about building coops and runs as a side gig. I’m curious about what made you choose the folks you did. If we don’t want to sidetrack this thread maybe if you want to answer you could do it on the thread I started? Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom