...just BUYING a chicken run?

I have assembled a coop from a kit with a 4'x7' run surrounding it. I am basically looking to add a supplementary run area approx. 12'x12' or 12'x9' ... I have 4 pullets that will eventually be pretty large sized birds. I would like to spoil them if possible within my $1000 budget.
for a 12'x12' (or 9') I would just DIY it. It really wouldn't be difficult. 12' boards can be purchased at big box hardware stores. Frame out some walls. Tack up some wire and cover it with bird netting (steal cable makes great support for netting). You would be well under $1000.

After viewing this online, I decided to duplicate it - we used an A frame design (like on a swing set) which gives the hens a lot of floor space, but isn't as imposing a structure in my back yard. We attached a small coop w/laying boxes (sold at Walmart and others) to it for easy access without going inside of the main structure. I've been using this for our hens for four years now, with a sand base and have had great results.
coop.JPG
coop.JPG

I hope I am not going out on a limb here, but in my humble opinion, a good many of the prefab coops and runs I've seen are more like toys than something practical. I've have seen a nice looking one at Tractor Supply that would be good for a few hens, but quite honestly I haven't seen anything prefab that in my opinion would be good for a flock of 10 to 25.

If I were to buy something I’d get a chain link dog kennel, Perhaps with the tarp roof and put a coop within in. The size you need and cost will depend how many chickens you have.
A chain link dog run works well IF you line it with 1/4" hardware cloth halfway up to prevent raccoons from teaching through and pulling your chickens out, AND if there are no gaps between the tattoo cover and the sides so the raccoons cannot squeeze in.

I heartily agree with you - I only had four hens (now 3) - actually, only three fit in my small coop! I forget that others really have lots of chickens!! It works so well for me, and would for others just "hobby chicken raising". My ladies provide us with three eggs a day - more than necessary for a retired couple with visiting grands! LOL

A chain link dog run works well IF you line it with 1/4" hardware cloth halfway up to prevent raccoons from teaching through and pulling your chickens out, AND if there are no gaps between the tattoo cover and the sides so the raccoons cannot squeeze in.
That's what I did for a run and a year later added a second which (think this through) actually tripled my run size!
One thing though. 1/4 inch hardware cloth is thin gauge wire that raccoons can rip through, and rusts making it even easier. 1/2 inch hardware cloth is thicker gauge and is galvanized against rust.

If you live somewhere with raccoons ;)

Some dog kennels have smaller openings as well, but still not as small as hardware cloth.

At minimum I’d attach an apron.

Where are you located? View attachment 1820863 You may want to consider the largest kennel you can get, put a roof over it & figure out a way to connect to their coop/housing area.

Due to our weather conditions/situation here, wanted something the girls would be confined to but yet have the ability to dig & space. Hubby built this 8x12x7, screened in with chicken wire (no predators like you all have), big dog house for nest box ... Call it our Chicken House, works great for us.
The only thing I don't like about your set up is no sunshine. My girls like to sunbathe; and I have plenty of shade around.

Back
Top Bottom