...just BUYING a chicken run?

Thank you. The kennels I have seen online still need hardware cloth and a roof installed over them to be predator-safe...The costs start to be in the $2,000's by my calculations... or maybe I am just not researching the right kennels?...It looks like you also have some kind of tenting over your set up. What are you using?
I am in the same predicament. I am not very handy and have been searching like a maniac for a simple gate and roof run that I can buy online. I have found a few as “chicken runs” and dog kernels with a root everything is so expensive. Yet it’s difficult to determine quality! Darn. If you know of a cheap place that has quality runs let me know please!

To circle back, I ended up buying the 9’x9’ Omlet run extension kit. It took all day to assemble, but didn’t require too much construction knowledge (*think IKEA*). I was really happy with the results. Just left one of the panels off completely to connect it to the main coop. Will still need to close a small gap at the connection point of the 2 structures.View attachment 1844734View attachment 1844738
Wow you took the plunge and bought one of the most astronomically expensive runs out there… should of saw this before asking if you knew of an inexpensive run! Lol

To circle back, I ended up buying the 9’x9’ Omlet run extension kit. It took all day to assemble, but didn’t require too much construction knowledge (*think IKEA*). I was really happy with the results. Just left one of the panels off completely to connect it to the main coop. Will still need to close a small gap at the connection point of the 2 structures.View attachment 1844734View attachment 1844738
The cover alone to make it “ water proof” is 35 alone!!! And that’s for like one panel. So you would need 5 of these l!!! Looks great!

Last edited:
I am in the same predicament. I am not very handy and have been searching like a maniac for a simple gate and roof run that I can buy online. I have found a few as “chicken runs” and dog kernels with a root everything is so expensive. Yet it’s difficult to determine quality! Darn. If you know of a cheap place that has quality runs let me know please!

I've used 10 x 10 x 6 dog kennels for my runs. They have been running a little over $300.00.

Of course, the hardware cloth is more expensive to cover the sides.

I have used the plastic with the holes in it for the top and it can be used to cover the chain link sides of the kennel till you can get the hardware cloth.

I live on a limited income and bought the hardware cloth as I could afford it.

IMG_1738.JPG

This is the first kennel I bought and did not use the chain link parts.

The black plastic on the door to the right of this picture is what I used on top of the runs.

I had my little chicks in this run.

I had to cover up very small holes so they could not get out.

In this picture I have 6 hens.

Each kennel comes with a gate.

Hope this helps you.

If you would like to further discuss this topic just send me a message.

I've used 10 x 10 x 6 dog kennels for my runs. They have been running a little over $300.00.

I have used the plastic with the holes in it for the top and it can be used to cover the chain link sides of the kennel till you can get the hardware cloth.

View attachment 2968890

The black plastic on the door to the right of this picture is what I used on top of the runs.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you so much! I may take you up on that! But so far thanks for sharing! Gives me something to think about! Great job!

View attachment 2968890

Hope this helps you.

I used the same dog run. Love it! So easy to set up. It makes a strong base structure for the hardware cloth. And as a bonus, whenever you add a new dog run that single 10x10 dog run doesn’t extend it by 10 feet. It extends it by 20 feet! I had to use hardware cloth to cover the top because of lots of hawks and climbing raccoons. But heavy snows made it severely sag so this spring I think I’m adding hoop house rooftop using cattle panels.

I used the same dog run. Love it! So easy to set up. It makes a strong base structure for the hardware cloth. And as a bonus, whenever you add a new dog run that single 10x10 dog run doesn’t extend it by 10 feet. It extends it by 20 feet! I had to use hardware cloth to cover the top because of lots of hawks and climbing raccoons. But heavy snows made it severely sag so this spring I think I’m adding hoop house rooftop using cattle panels.
and the advantage to the type of run you're talking about, is they take most types of the universal kennel covers. I needed the quick assembly of a panel kennel, and have to use 2x4s to prop up the 2x4 fencing on the roof to keep the water from ponding on the tarps that cover it.

I may have already posted this, but I can't find my input, if I did.

I have a kennel that came with roof panels. I expanded the roof by using welded wire fencing supported by 4x4s. I covered the whole thing with 2 tarps. It's only 4 years old, but I have zero issues with it. It held up a blanket of almost 4ft of snow this year. The kennel was around $500, but it's been a huge help as we've moved 3 times with our chickens. With the expansion, it's 300sq ft now.

You could use some wooden beams to support the hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom