Just changed to a raw meat....

I've had Malinois for over 20 years, somewhere I even have the "I am NOT a GSD" t-shirt LOL

I used to like the Pro Plan Performance, before they went to some funky "shredded" stuff that reminds me of Kibbles and Bits. Ingredient watchers will tell you it wasn't a quality food, but I know MANY Malinois who had sensitive stomachs that did well on that food for whatever reason. 1 very well known breeder of working dogs fed only that food to all his dogs. Another food they have done well on is the Diamond Extreme Athlete, if I can find a reliable source I plan to switch my dogs back to that. I fed it for a long time but got tired of having to special order it every time I needed food. Some do well on Canidea, but they changed their formula 4 or 5 years go and about 50% of the dogs I knew on it at the time, including some of my own, started to have really funky stools that looked like they had sand mixed in them. I know a few people who have gone back to them and the dogs have done well, most haven't. I would not use some of the richer foods like Evo, in general they don't seem to tolerate those as well.
I've always admired the Malinois breed - beautiful, high energy dogs.

How some people can confuse the leaner, all tan body of the Mali with the typical, stockier black & tan GSD I'll never know. They are occasionally used in the police force in the UK with GSD's.

I'm a big fan of recognizing dog breeds
big_smile.png

Personally its one of the breeds I'd love if I ever went touring by bike or likewise.

I've always admired the Malinois breed - beautiful, high energy dogs.

How some people can confuse the leaner, all tan body of the Mali with the typical, stockier black & tan GSD I'll never know. They are occasionally used in the police force in the UK with GSD's.

I'm a big fan of recognizing dog breeds
big_smile.png

Personally its one of the breeds I'd love if I ever went touring by bike or likewise.

I was at a dog show about 15 years ago with one of my Malinois to compete in obedience. So we were hanging around the obedience rings practicing a little and watching. A woman approached me and struck up a conversation, asking if I was planning to go to the meet and greet, they were having food, information on the local breed club, etc. Took me a minute since I knew the Belgian people didn't have anything planned, and then I realized she was talking about a GSD function. She was one of the main people in the local GSD club and she thought my Malinois was a GSD. She was pretty embarrassed when I pointed out he wasn't a GSD though LOL Granted he was working bred, but his breed type was not bad, definitely not that bad.

I feed raw meat to my dogs and they are happy with it and look great!
I make my own dog food and has been working well. firm believer in feeding raw meat to dogs! I lay it out after its cut into jerky strips and dry it for a couple days and they enjoy that as well.

Been doing yogurt with the kibble, he loves it, eats all his food which didn't always happen before and i think was the issue.

Back
Top Bottom