Just checking what these colours are!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nikirushka, Oct 11, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    I got terribly overexcited about finally getting the tibetan tuxedo I wanted when my first chick hatched - now I'm doubting myself!

I'm thinking wild type at the top, tibetan tuxedo at the bottom. Have I got that right?

[​IMG]

These are my first chicks of any colour so I'm learning as I go! And please excuse the awful setup - this is the hurredly thrown-together incubator/brooder, I'm setting up a separate brooder tomorrow now I've been able to get a bit more kit. Although the hatching is done, I'm pretty sure - had a power outage earlier and lost the chick that pipped last night, and there are only two more with chicks in (just re-candled) and I can't see any movement at all in them. I'm gutted but I'm still thrilled to have managed to get these two, although I did have to break the top one out of its shell in the end!

2. gardenisto

gardenisto Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2015
    CA, WY
    I'm not an expert at identification, so I hardly try to guess anything for the first few days. Congrats on your hatch. I think if you insulate the incubator you'll be able to better survive things like power loss. Also, a tiny vent hole at the bottom of the brooder will let any CO2 build up from quail respiration escape. I'm talking a pencil sized hole about an inch from the bottom on one of the sides.

I hope you get a few more hatches. :)

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Your guess seems good! Although I have only hatched a few non pharaoh/wild/brown chicks, I think it could be a tuxedo as well :)

One of my tuxedos was silver on top and yellow where the white would be and my Tibetans came out looking like tuxedos but the only thing left on them that was white was a little cute beard :p

They also had different colored toes which they still have as adults hehe.

Here's a pic of a white bearded Tibetan chick with the pink and black toes, one of it as a jeuvenile and one of it as an adult - tuxedos are cool but so are Tibetans [​IMG] They really seem to have denser feathers as well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Bottom one could also pass for a scarlet tux, color will be better by 1 week old.
    Top one... hmmm... all of my pharaoh have black stripes.
    These are 3 days old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  5. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    Oh wow, yes, those are very distinct!

I've just taken this one now the younger has fluffed up better. Maybe-tux is 2 days old now, maybe-pharoah is1 day.

[​IMG]

Can pharoahs come with coloured toes as chicks? Rufus has bicoloured like Binki's little tux. Actually he looks very similar from that angle, same facial markings but with the lighter brown. Station I am certain is a tux of some variety - his little wings are very distinctly half yellow!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by