Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

Yes we name them. Our oldest chicken is an 11 year old silver spangled hamburg named Dottie and the next oldest is a 10 yo EE named Fluffy by my them 6 yo daughter. The RIRs are Cinnamon and Ginger. We also have 4 cochins, two white ones name Snowball and Sugar, a black and gold one named Guinevere and a black and white one named Juilette. We also have 3 new maran chicks who are Claire, Emma and Charlotte. We are getting more chicks in a few weeks and they will all be named as well. These are our pets and pets have names. I also named our house, my workshop and will name the new coop as well when it is built. Our goat house is called Madeline Manor in honor of our first ever goat Madeline, who just turned 10 this spring. But goats are a who nother forum!

Well I named 1 of my chickens Big Hen becuase she is tall and very wide .
cool.png

THE GREAT AUNTS
the best flock naming i ever heard of was Doreen And the Dinner Ladies (because they fuss!).

It inspired me to name my chickens after my elderly aunts:
roll.png

Aunt Lil, auntie Doreen, Madge, and Edie. Then when the big glam Rhode island reds arrived they were called Elsie and Gladys after my big girl grandmas- until one died and now the last one is called Elsie Gladys.

Gingernut rangers, The new girls on the block are the younger aunties Aunt Sylvia (Hated her when i was akid as i could nt spell her name right!) and Aunt Suzie.

LE NONNE _ we have now added two light sussex to represent our childrens grandmas - therefore named Kitty and Mabe.

roll.png
We have reached the stage where we have to choose the cicken to match the name - these two were specially chosen for white hair with grey in !

katedf

I name my cars so I sure would name my chickens. Mine are named: Ellen (australorp), Winifred--Winnie/Freddi (buff orpington), Ester, Star (barred rocks) and Hazel (araucana).

I name every single one of my Beautiful d'UCCLE's. Such as ( Inkheart, Inkdeath, Inkantation, Inkspell, Frostbyte, Black ice, etc. ) I try to think up authentic names. I think the chickens are much happier and lay beter eggs if they are given special attention
smile.png

I only have 10 hens but yes they all have names . Their my Sons ( JT and JP ) and Granddaughters middle names .

Last edited:
I name mine (sort of). Hubby, friends and other family don't know much of anything about chickens. So I started naming them after their breed.
My Buff Orpington = Buffy
Jersey Giant = JG (now standing for Jersey Girl)
3 Production Reds = the three stooges (and they are living up to the name)
3 Silver Laced Wynadottes = Lacy girls

but my 2 ducks were named by my 2yr son, Tuck & MingMing (after the wonder pets - his current favorite cartoons)
tongue.png

As soon as you name them they are part of the family. Mine have names like Squeaky, Blimpy, Sissy, and Rudy for obvoius reasons
roll.png

Last edited:
Yes I have named mine also...usually according to what they remind me of when young.
Gertie-silver laced wyandotte
Ester-black australorp
Easter-Araucana
Red riding hood and Cinderella- 2 RIR
Chicken Little and Henny Penny- 2 cochin bantams
Porcelain-porcelain bantam
Cry Baby and Little Chicken- 2 BT Japs

And we just got 4 silkies and a polish bantams that will have names by the end of the weekend
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom