Just curious!

How about I START with this spray (and avoid eyes) and if there's no improvement with her, I step it up a notch? The objective here, I'm sorry to say, is to do this in a highly cost-effective way as we are only have two hens for eggs plus I happen to really enjoy tending to them.

Here's the link to the TS product:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-enzymes-poultry-protector-16-oz?cm_vc=-10005

Will give update in a week or as soon as I see improvement. I'm also thinking of putting something in their water supply to boost their immune system. Not sure what yet, but will know before tomorrow afternoon.

Aha! I knew I'd find something if I kept at it! Since I'm totally into holistic cures and natural preventatives, for us humans, this site is perfect for what I need to do.

This will help me to get rid of their lice/mites they MAY have (if not, no harm done) AND more importantly - to prevent future infestations! :)

The hens I have do a lot of dust bathing AND sand bathing too, they have the cove area and the 14-foot run as well!

I'm going to try this garlic treatment as it starts to work immediately, is cheap and, according to what I've read...100% effective! Garlic is also added to dog water for the same reasons!

Here's the link to that site if you would like to check it out!

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/02/mites-how-to-prevent-them-and-treat.html

I'm beginning to feel a lot better about Henrietta all ready! :)

Thanks so much for your encouragement! It's much appreciated....

Linda in NC

Very interesting!!! I'll check it out but right now, I'm finding a lot of holistic cures and preventions and it's all DIY! Will KEEP that in mind, however...so please do not think you sent that to me in vain! :) Back in a few days? weeks? with update! :thumbsup

Good work...keep reading. You will find the more you read them more you find out just how not so good most "natural" cures are.

Am also going to make a dusting area in the cove for them....pure ash from our hard wood only fire pit AND the other natural items (sprays, water additives, etc) that I can easily and safely prepare for them. I'll be back as soon as possible with pics of her and how I got lice/mite free! :yesss:

If you have chickens, you have to handle them. Do you have a cat, or dog? Can you imagine taking care of them without handling them? Any kids? Can you take care of them without handling them? Grab that girl up, put on rubber gloves if you feel the need, and give her a close inspection. Whether you find anything on her or not, I strongly suggest that you give her a good dusting or spray with a miticide. But, you can't do that without handling her, and parting the feathers to see to it that the product gets down to her skin. I agree, DE is a waste of time if there are parasites to be dealt with. As for your question about "Why is only one bird affected?" Research has shown that 10% of the animals in a flock harbor 90% of the parasites. A bird that is a parasite magnet most likely has an underlying health issue. She would be #1 on my cull list.

Linda here just in:
another person complaining that natural ways..including the poultry protecter you mentioned above just does not work.
Read this post:#185

Back
Top Bottom