Just curious!

I have a hen named Henrietta! She is a Columbian Rock though, I have two hens that look just like yours but their names are Lilly and Peaches. Your hens are very pretty!

Linda check these two posts out:

X3 on the permethrin, that's what I would use.

There is an "organic" "approved" for poultry pesticide called PyGanic. Double check that it treats mites.View attachment 1043501 View attachment 1043502 :

Mites don't stay on the birds, they hide out under roosts and in nestboxes, plus in every crack and crevice, coming out at night to dine on your poor birds. Completely treating the coop will go a long way to winning the battle but you will have to do it at least twice to break the cycle and clear up any stragglers. They can live for months without a meal so you need to kill them off.

If you go the garlic route you have to offer it separately, free choice, not mix it into food or water as you could end up with garlic flavoured eggs. Garlic takes awhile to work as it has to build up in their flesh. It's not going to cure it quickly and is more a deterrent than a cure. All the while your chickens are having their blood sucked out every night and potentially becoming infected with whatever the mites might be carrying. It's very draining to their immune systems and bodies and can kill them. The mites are in your coop (hundreds of the little suckers) and you have to get rid of them before they overwhelm your birds, and with only two to dine out on, that could happen quite quickly.

Run your hand under the roosts - they love hiding there and in nest boxes. If you see smears of blood on the fingers, that's the squished mites full of your birds blood.

If you want something 'natural' use neem oil. I've painted the inside of my coop, plus roosts and nest boxes with it diluted about 50% in hot water. In my country we don't have permethrin spray (wish we did - would make my life easier) and the products I tried did nothing (other than waste my time and energy). DE doesn't work so don't waste your money on that stuff.

Your bedding will be infested with them so you have to get rid of it. Either burn it or dispose of it in some other way. I couldn't burn in so I bagged it up, put it as far away from my birds as I could, and kept spraying it with fly spray every day to kill off any new mites that hatched out. They won't travel far but can live for months without a feed. Just be careful and put on some bug repellent, wear long sleeves, long pants, gloves etc before you clean out your coop - I got bitten a lot by them and let me tell you, I was SO ITCHY!!!

It wasn't until I had my tiny bantam hen inside (in my laundry) sitting on some eggs for me that I discovered mites on her. And that was because the infestation was very bad and they had nowhere to hide - out in the big coop it was awful. It was a nightmare, and she actually died a couple of months after I got everyone clean and I have to wonder if it was from the mites. I was heart broken (still am) because she was my favourite. She was just the sweetest.

Mites are carried by wild birds, rats, wild rabbits etc. I'm pretty sure mine came from the rats that live round the water way that runs through the bottom of our property. Every time they turn up, so do the mites and I have just repainted my coop with neem recently, despite the fact that it's winter in my part of the world.

Those black spots by her eye and near her ear are the mites. They are tiny (she was an Old English Game Bantam which are more pigeon sized than your typical chicken size).
Poor Pixie.jpg

As for handling your chickens, if necessary it's better to do it at night as they are more docile when they can't see. But if it's these kinds of mites that hide in your coop, treating your coop rather than your birds is the way to go.

It wasn't until I had my tiny bantam hen inside (in my laundry) sitting on some eggs for me that I discovered mites on her. And that was because the infestation was very bad and they had nowhere to hide - out in the big coop it was awful. It was a nightmare, and she actually died a couple of months after I got everyone clean and I have to wonder if it was from the mites. I was heart broken (still am) because she was my favourite. She was just the sweetest.

Mites are carried by wild birds, rats, wild rabbits etc. I'm pretty sure mine came from the rats that live round the water way that runs through the bottom of our property. Every time they turn up, so do the mites and I have just repainted my coop with neem recently, despite the fact that it's winter in my part of the world.

Those black spots by her eye and near her ear are the mites. They are tiny (she was an Old English Game Bantam which are more pigeon sized than your typical chicken size).
View attachment 1043701

As for handling your chickens, if necessary it's better to do it at night as they are more docile when they can't see. But if it's these kinds of mites that hide in your coop, treating your coop rather than your birds is the way to go.

I think you were dealing with these:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-cure-for-stick-tight-fleas.63059/

We don't have those types of fleas in New Zealand, and these things were all through her nest and crawling all over her eggs. I couldn't believe I'd missed the warning signs before it turned into a full on infestation. I used Vetafarm Insect Liquidator on them (safe to use on finch eggs and newly hatched chicks) and that knocked them off pretty quick. Now I am hyper vigilant as I do not want to have to deal with that nightmare again.

We don't have those types of fleas in New Zealand, and these things were all through her nest and crawling all over her eggs. I couldn't believe I'd missed the warning signs before it turned into a full on infestation. I used Vetafarm Insect Liquidator on them (safe to use on finch eggs and newly hatched chicks) and that knocked them off pretty quick. Now I am hyper vigilant as I do not want to have to deal with that nightmare again.
Just checking...I came across that picture and it reminded me of the one you had posted.

Just checking...I came across that picture and it reminded me of the one you had posted.

Thank you.

I think it was also because I had her in a little plastic dog kennel (she was broody) so it was nice and dark for the horrid little blood suckers. When I took the top half off and discovered it crawling with mites I nearly freaked!

Okay folks...here's an update on my girls scaly legs & mites.

I've employed some holistic measures but today I'm adding what ya'll suggested to me earlier.

What I've done so far (and will continue to do)
1. Got a 2-gallon, nipple-feed cooler set up (ice water for now) with my new BriteTap
2. Added 2 Tablespoons ACV (1 per gal, as per instructions
3. Added one clove finely minced fresh garlic to the water also
3. Serving 1 store-bought egg scrambled each a.m., with fresh, minced garlic in it
and a generous sprinkling of sharp cheddar.

They eagerly devour it and garlic will help get rid of the existing lice on them, plus eggs and cheese are good source of protein. :)

Today....I'm off to Tractor Supply for 4 items:
1. PERMETHRIN 10%
2. POULTRY PROTECTOR SPRAY (for body, legs, coop, run, nests, but not face!)
3. Gordon's poultry dust (for body, legs, coop, run, nests)
4. Minerals & electrolytes for poultry (for water supply)

Hope to hear something positive from my experienced advisors on here!

Please note that I will follow the instructions on the labels to the letter! I want to cure them...not kill them!

And last but not least....NO MORE D.E. AROUND THEM PERIOD!

I'll use up the rest of the supply around the outside of the coop as it's great for killing ants, roaches, etc., but not INSIDE their areas. When the rest is gone...no more!

These will remain as an on-going treatment, prevention for the rest of their lives, but the scrambled eggs w/garlic, cheese may be an ocassional thing AFTER this infestation is over!

Took close up pics of both of their legs yesterday - and it's clear - Abigail's legs are pretty awful looking, but Henrietta's (the one with the bare butt) look clean and healthy. Not real sure if tops of Henrietta's legs have scales or not...but I'm treating both girls daily from now on no matter what!

After one week, I'll take another set of pics to see the before/after! If they are impressive, I'll post them. Today, however, I just posted pics of them enjoying their new ice water supply from BriteTap! Didn't take long at all for me to teach them how to drink from nipples....so proud of my girls!

Let me know what ya'll think please???

Linda in NC
June 21, 2017

SAM_8305.JPG

SAM_8308.JPG

HAVE A GREAT DAY, YA'LL! :)

First of, I will start by saying LG and KisKis, You where being quite rude to Linda V, When she was just trying to get advice.

Linda V, I didn't read all of this, But from what I hear is your girl has Mites or Lice.
Your water setup and plain is great!I bet they love the scrambled eggs, I know mine do!
Anyway, I have to find it again, but there is a BYC member on here, @pipdzipdnreadytogo , Who used a Dog and cat tick and flea stuff to get rid of mites are.If tha tag worked, Could you please remind me what you used, Pipd?

Good luck!
-CC1215

Back
Top Bottom