JUST drakes together OK?

688peterl

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
as you already know i hatched 2 ducklings last week and im unaware of the sex, so i could have...

1 girl / 1 boy: i would then need to get another girl

2 girls: fine

2 boys: im unsure?

so would 2 drakes together be OK? do drakes NEED to mate and what will happen if they dont? has anybody else ever kept drakes together without hens? share your experiences plz

2 drakes together will usually be fine, according to Holderread. He says as long as there are NO females, drakes will usually get along just fine. I'm pretty sure there are some folks on here with bachelor flocks that can confirm that. Of course 2 girls are fine together too. One boy, one girl MIGHT be okay, but you'll have to watch once they reach maturity and make sure he's not hurting her by mating too much.

We are becoming a more accepting/tolerant world...and there is nothing wrong with that...
lau.gif

Yep. Heck when I first started out I had three boys and one girl. My old geezer took the authority and Lil Mama was HISgirl. And the other two just had to snuggle with eachother
lau.gif

I have four 'bachelors' together; a Magpie, a Magpie cross, a little BEI and a Silky. They all seems to do fine together (though the Silky seems unusually 'enamored' with with the Magpie). Our three resident 'teenage' ducks wander over to their pen once a day to torment them a bit with lots of chattering and flirting going on.

i still dont know what sex they are but they have been nasty to eachother today
old.gif
, they peck eachother a lot i cant tell if they are just playing or not
hu.gif
they must love eachother though because when they go to sleep they always snuggle up together
love.gif

I have 4 drakes who wander around single-file together. The only problem they ever had was in the first few months when they were trying to re-establish the pecking order. Now they're just 4 friends. I haven't really seen them try to mate with each other, except during that period I mentioned, but the tom turkey is a meanie and chases them around trying to mate with them.

Back
Top Bottom