Dr.GarryTTucker

Songster
5 Years
May 1, 2018
Southeast Texas
so for now I’m calling my last two cockerels poncho and lefty from a previous post. This is just a “I’m a proud moment chicken parent”

So poncho, last night, started to flicker his right leg against his wing. I thought something was wrong and I would look at it this morning. Well doing my chores he did it again. But this time he turned sideways and approached me then started circling me with his back turned slightly. Flickering his leg and circling me.

I laughed and said I’m not Mateable find a girl haha my boy is becoming a teenager. Hormones raging and all!

No, he does not think you’re a hen. He thinks you’re something to be challenged and it could very well turn into an attack. An attack that will involve flogging and a possible spurring. Here is an article by Beekissed that could be helpful:
Rooster

Whether he thinks you're a hen he wants to make his or whether he is just trying to dominate you is debatable.
Point is he is treating you as a chicken so he sees you as just another chicken.
I suspect he was feasting you. I would also suspect his next move will be a sneak attack flogging to back of a calf sometime when you turn your back on him.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it and he will be fine just start paying attention to him and watch for escalation.
Many say you can train them or more correctly establish your dominance over him.
My opinion is if it gets to the point of a flogging its done for.
I don't believe in playing rooster games. I think it is short lived in most every case.
Once you play his game he will always have it in his mind that some day you will show a weakness and he will be there to take another shot at getting to top bird and run the flock.
There are lots of posts her about what to do but I won't give advise on that because I don't believe it will be a fix.

This is not a good event, it's a warning that he's thinking very bad thoughts toward you, or any human. Beekissed article is excellent, read it ASAP, and don't tolerate any such behavior.
At least, walk through your cockerels, make them move out of your way at all times. Some boys might be salvageable, others are to stupid to figure it all out, and need that crockpot experience.
His brains are way smaller than his testicles!
Idiots who attack the giants who bring food shouldn't enter the gene pool either, or cause harm, or ER visits.
Mary

Ok well it’s down to him and lefty someone has to go in the next week or two. He has wider shoulders and bigger body. I was thinking about keeping him. Buuut if he is bad news then in the freezer with the other three.

Back
Top Bottom