Just found out someone complained, I don't want to lose my girls!

They cannot enforce a law and not provide you with the law that you are breaking. That's a bunch of BS!!! It has to be posted somewhere or they have to provide you with it. Let them take you to court...then they will have to prove what the law is that they're trying to enforce, that you are alledgedly (sp?) breaking. We were told we couldn't have chickens here where I live by our home owners association and I looked at the CC&R's and there is nothing that says we can't have chickens...only swine, cattle and goats. Mind you, I live on 1.5 acres in the mountains of Idaho to boot. After looking over the CC&R's and finding out that the HOA officers were blowin' smoke up everyone's a**....I promptly built myself a home made incubator, bought 12 fertile eggs and set them. A week later I attended a HOA officer's meeting and told them they don't know what they're talking about where the CC&R's are concerned, that they are wrong about people not being allowed to have chickens. I brought a copy of my CC&R's and showed them, and they also pulled up a copy of it online on the HOA website and quickly found that they had been trying to enforce some rule that didn't even exist. I told them I was hatching a dozen chicks as we speak. Some asked if I was gonna have a rooster and my answer was...I HOPE SO...I LOVE TO HEAR THEM CROW!!! We've got screaming kids and barking dogs and idiots riding dirt bikes all around and it drives me nuts. I can't wait for my chicks to get bigger and I hope I have at least one roo! I will not feel bad in the least if he crows at 4 a.m. and all hours of the day. Stand your ground, you can win this thing. I just read a long post of another gal who just did. They can't keep you from having pets. Good luck!

Oh...just wanted to say that I had 9 of my 12 eggs hatch--they are 8 days old today and I love them! I just ordered 8 EE chicks and will have them by next week. I wanted to hatch more...but couldn't round up anymore local fertile eggs. I can't wait to get my other chicks next week!!! I'm so excited to finally have my chickens!!!!
wee.gif

File a Freedom of Information Act request, hand deliver it with witnesses to the city/town clerk.

If they don't comply, you take them to court and let all of folks in your town know via the media exactly what is going on at their town/city hall.

They will fold like lawn chair.

If they are serving a violation notice on you they have to be specific about exactly what ordinance they claim you broke, you shouldn't have to guess, this kind of game playing can also be used to have a judge toss the charges out.

Nothing like airing the towns dirty laundry in the paper or on TV.

Quote:
I don't know you, but I sure like your style.

Ironic, isn't it. I have 2 neighbors across the street. One couple are the nicest people, very hard working types. The lady works in the medical field, not a regular 9-5, so it's not usual for her to have to do things at odd hours, too, like early morning or late evening. I've seen her out doing yardwork like raking at midnight.

The other guy is an arrogant jerk.

He had the audacity to call the cops and complain one time because the first neighbor was mowing grass at 8:30 in the evening and he was hosting a noisy loud party because Michigan was playing a football game that lovely October and the lawnmower was disturbing his drunken guests.

He also religiously chases all of the wild geese off his lawn, like a little goose poo is the end of the world

So I used to be in the habit of walking along the public sidewalk on his side of the street at 4:00 in the morning and tossing handfuls of cracked corn into his grass. Just to sweeten the pot a little.

If they refused to give you a copy of the law then I wouldn't search anymore. If code enforcement comes back out, tell them that you asked for the law and was told no, therefore you can assume that there isn't a law. If you are hauled into court you could tell the judge the same thing. It just seems kind of fishy that they want to charge you with violating the law but they don't want to provide you with which law you violated.

It appaers the complaint was purely because we had chickens. What I am doing is going to all my emmediate nieghbors and asking them to sign a document stating that they don't mind me having chickens and if there is ever a problem we we do our best to fix it. Hopeing and praying this works.
fl.gif

Have you been approached yet by anyone from animal control asking you to get rid of your chickens? Have they cited you for disturbing the peace? If so, that citation would/should have the specific law that you are being accused of breaking. If not, I think it would still be a good idea to go back to the city and request the specific areas of the law that pertain to your situation; only this time if they do not or will not provide a copy of the law, have them give you a signed - dated - statement (on city letterhead) stating the reason why they will not comply with your request. It will help you in the future to have a paper audit trail of everything you've done regarding the matter; and having a witness wouldn't hurt either. An audit trail can also be as simple as doing a time line of specifics such as: the date / time / who you spoke with / and your questions and their response. Just my 2¢'s. Good Luck!

There is a city council meeting on the 12th. I am going to give a speech about why I think chickens should be allowed. I need some help, could you help me make a list of reasons chickens are a good idea? And help me find arguenents against what people against chickens are saying? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom