Just found the other threads and..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by thecuriouslynx, Jan 13, 2013.

1. thecuriouslynx

thecuriouslynx Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    Just found the other threads on the Ameraucan vs EE's LOL! Seems like it can be a VERY confusing thing to figure out what a person has or what is closest. Hmmm. So can someone tell me, if I have a couple girls that lay blue eggs, have muffs & beards, are the correct weights but, have yellow bottoms to their feet and are a color that I am not sure is a true breed standard are they still Ameraucana or are they EE's? Confused.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Ameraucanas that are not of a accepted color are not concidered ameraucanas by their SOP. even if the parent´s color are accepted

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, that is somewhat hotly contested. The standard says that type makes breed and colour makes variety, and I follow that over what an individual breed club states about an unrecognized variety meaning the bird is not the breed, even if it fits all type standards. Now in the case of the OP's bird, yellow skin would mean that it does not have the correct skin colour, and therefore is an EE, not an ameraucana.

One of the reasons that the ameraucana breeders are so picky is that just about every hatchery calls any bird that might possibly lay a blue egg an ameraucana or araucana, regardless of breed standards. Add to that the controversy over the initial set of traits that different breeders wanted to develop into the South American blue egg laying chickens, and that araucanas and their standards were accepted first, making it that much tougher for ameraucana breeders to get THEIR desired traits approved as a separate breed.

4. thecuriouslynx

thecuriouslynx Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you both for the replies! So from what I can see then, I have EE hens but the young rooster I bought is a true Ameraucana because he has the muffs, beard, I believe he is from a blue egg, pea comb, slate colored legs, white bottoms to his feet and is a lovely shade of grey that I believe is what the breed standard calls lavender. Would this be real close to correct?

If so I need to start contacting breeders with proper lines to find girls to mate him with, crossing him with my girls will give me EE's? Or is there a small percentage of chicks that would maybe be considered Ameraucana?
    Also, what ways are there to get a bird evaluated/graded for standard and color? I'd like to know where he would stand on a scal from 1 -10. Is this done only by entering a show and going with a judges opinion? Is this way too subjective to the individual judge or is there a color chart/color pics that I can access?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by