Just getting started in Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jonesfarms2016, Jan 23, 2016.

1. jonesfarms2016

jonesfarms2016 New Egg

Jan 17, 2016
    Hello from Sandusky, MI!! Pretty excited to see where this journey takes my family and I. Starting new this spring. Any help is greatly appreciated. Looking for different breeds to start with. Like the buff orpington and the light brahma. Need something that can be handled by 2 young ambitious boys and produce eggs too.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us. Congrats on your decision to get your own flock.

Here's a link to the Learning Center - so much helpful information there to get you started.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I hope you are planning on starting with baby chicks, it is so much fun to see them grow up.

Both breeds you are considering are friendly. Of the 2, I have experience only with BO's and they can go broody quite often - and when those hormones are flying they are far from friendly. But only a problem if you have to collect eggs in the nest they like.

Decide how many you plan to raise, build your coop/run larger than the minimum - giving them as much space as you can will keep the flock happier and easier to care for.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

Good luck with the new adventure, I am certain you will and your helpers will find this a fascinating, fun adventure.

2 people like this.
  3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome. Your in the right place to learn. You can search past posts to read about particular breeds your interested in. When I was first starting out this was my go to spot when I had a question.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sunflour has left you some excellent advice and the learning centre link which is a fab place to start. It's has lots of fabulous articles to help you get started on your new chicken adventures. Have you checked out the breed section? Lots if great reviews there, here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children and Orpingtons and Brahmas are great breeds for children as they are typically calm and gentle. Other breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle are Australorps, Faverolles, Sussex, Silkies, and Cochins. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

In addition to the other great links you've been given, here's one I like for comparing breeds:
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

If you have questions, always feel free to ask. There are a lot of friendly, helpful members here.

Good luck!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I also wish you good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by