Just got 2 baby geese and haven't had them before.

Quote:
I already have the Grower/finisher that I mix 50/50 for my chickens as an extra benefit for them. Am I correct to understand that Flock Raiser is 'vegetarian' feed and has 'no' animal by products? Are Geese herbivores? I would say no because they have caught a few bugs and gobbled them right down. They are so different than my chickens, which in itself is not a bad thing. I love my chickens and love my geese, just not sure of what sex my babies are yet.

Geese are herbivores. I suppose they eat some bugs (I haven't seen it) but pretty much: they eat grasses.
Holderread says that, more than anything, chick feeds don't get the niacin levels right for waterfowl. He says Flock Raiser does. *Shrug* He knows a lot more about this than I do!

I had a duckling on chicken starter for a little while and I could almost swear, he wasn't thriving until I switched him to Flock Raiser.
Not that I mean to be a commercial for large scale agribusiness and Purina.
I don't use flock raiser anymore (except if/when I run out my preferred feed) cause I'm using a locally-sourced, custom-formulated-for-waterfowl, organic feed.

If you have a yard, let them mow it!

Dana

i would let them in with the chicks because i have a gosling living with my chicks and they are great together. some people say don't house them together because the geese are to messy but honestly i think my chicks are much more messy then the goose. the chicks will scratch and clog up the waterers but the goose never does that. the chicks also think the goose is their mom because she is much bigger then they are. they follow the goose around and freak out if it take the goose out of the brooder
smile.png

im feeding my goose no medicated starter too and i think they will be fine on it as long as they aren't on it to long

OmaBird I was about to say the same thing about Metzer's having the Holderread books for only $18 and $4.95 s&h. Their customer service is awesome.

Quote:
$50!! I ordered it from Dave Holderread directly a few months ago and got it for $18 and he even wrote a little message inside and signed it...

Back
Top Bottom