Just got back from SkyWarn training... (Severe weather geek alert!)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Chicken Lady, Feb 19, 2009.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    This is my second year participating in the SkyWarn program. I convinced my DH to join up with me this time. [​IMG] We spent the evening at the training session for our county, which included watching some awesome footage of tornadoes and hail. Sweet! [​IMG] I can hardly wait for this year's severe weather season to start up... (As it looks outside, it's going to be a while yet before all this snow gives way to some good, strong thunderstorms!)

Any other storm spotters out there? Share your stories and pics, or just say hello!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i would love to do that but for me to travel south and hope to see something its a little expensive DH and i were looking into a storm chaser "tour"

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I'm a weather geek too. I love taking pics of it. Haven't got a good one yet. [​IMG]

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    DH is a weather spotter here in Illinois. He gets on his HAM radio and totally goes into geek mode whenever bad weather moves through - which is pretty often around here. I usually pick on him for it, but he loves it, so what can I say?

I took this picture from our front yard in May '07 just before DH jumped into his truck to go look for more:

[​IMG]

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awesome pic, schmije! [​IMG] Did that touch down in your area? I can't tell if it's all the way to the ground (it's hard to see any debris flying around near it).

6. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Speaking of tornadoes

This one hit about a 1/2 mile from me.

7. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Quote:You and my cousin! She lives in central Ohio and I'm in central Indiana so I can always expect a call from her if we have bad weather because chances are she will get it a few hours after we do. She's a weather spotter over there, too. She does the classes and all. I'm a bit of a weather head, too, but not like you guys. lol
    Very COOL picture, too btw, schmije.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Lisa, I'm a weather geek, too, we don't get many tornadoes around here I still love to track the weather, and storms, I've got a weather station (Davis Vantage Pro II) and follow approaching storms via the radar on Weather Underground.com

9. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Congrats!

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I am also a "weather head", so is DH. Not pro, or even amateur, just both very weather aware. Especially since lightning took out most our electronics in July, 2006. It hit an 80' tree about 20 yards from the house- and it hit it twice, within seconds- killed the tree, and fried the house. Lightning can and does strike twice- I watched it happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by