just got heat lamp, its too hot? chiks are lying face down, thats a bad sign?, vid in abit

Get a chair and clamp the light to the back of it. Anything that is sturdier than your current set up. That's a serious fire hazard. Next, get a bigger box. Grab cardboard box from the garage, dump out a storage tote, just something bigger than that. Everywhere the light touches there is heat and if they can't get away from that heat they'll die. Next time, you'll want a way to easily adjust the light to their needs. That light is the most crucial part of the brood system. Also, find out what the temp in that room is. If it feels hot to you then it is likely warm to them too.

I've even taken a 6' piece of chicken wire or Hc and made circle with cardboard under it for short time in a pinch and if lamp is adjusted correctly it can hold the temperature needed
Is there a phone app that measures temp possibly?

I've even taken a 6' piece of chicken wire or Hc and made circle with cardboard under it for short time in a pinch and if lamp is adjusted correctly it can hold the temperature needed
Is there a phone app that measures temp possibly?

That's a good idea for a brooder.

I've done something similar for a brooder: tarp on the floor, cardboard on top of that, pieces of a dog kennel for some of the sides and pieces of cardboard for the other sides. It kept the chicks safe, and also protected the floor from chick poop. I hadn't thought of using chicken wire or hardware cloth for the sides, mostly because it's not what I had, but I can see how they would work well too.

My usual brooder is a large rabbit kennel. With hc about 1' up from bottom to make the holes smaller. Wire is less of a fire hazard which makes this ultra paranoid person rest easier

hey

I got my humidfy thermeonter

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireles...216832?hash=item342dc57d80:g:CFQAAOSwsNNfESg3

my mum put a cardboard above the brooder to kinda block the lamp

I put the thermoter for 2 hours, it said 24 c 32 %

I took away the cardboard, just then, Ill see how it is in an hour

n I duno why someone put the lauhgin emoticon to my post

its been three minutes without the cardboard says 25 c, Ill se in an hour

24 c isnt enough yeah? 5 day old chikcs

and I have to look for cardboards, dont realy have any

Attachments

• 20200925_033304[1].jpg
    20200925_033304[1].jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1
alright previous coment said need to be 32 c , but in the brooder is 25 c, how do I incread heat?

suposed to lower the heat lamp?

a person in the coment said clamp the light to the back of chair, not sure how to do that

also when I had the cardboard covering half of the brooder, the chiks stayed under the cardboard

right now its 22 minutes since remove cardobard from top, and thermometer says 27 c , they are lying down all difernt parts in brooder

I think the bulb my dad brought is 100 w, should I get 75 w?

this is the box my dad brought

https://www.discountlight.com/be_fr/philips-par38-ir-100w-e27-230v-clear

Back
Top Bottom