just got heat lamp, its too hot? chiks are lying face down, thats a bad sign?, vid in abit

oki , I put some paper towel in the hole, n hur ago, now I see there resting

so I can chill for abit

but yer, I guess soon i have to start leting them out for small periods of timesm , I have to read that article about it again

and yeah, when I just checke on them a minute ago, now they are awake again and pecking it

I dnt got a wood box

there is a type of wood box in the shed, the chiken used to sleep there, I havent been in the shed for abit, coz I get allergic to the shed or dusty areas

but I tihnk the chiken now sleeps soewer else in the shed coz introuction of the 5 other chkens

pics of shed , n were the chiken used to sleep , a box

Attachments

• brown chckn sleep area.jpg
    brown chckn sleep area.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 107799530_3134246556624589_1076460562676936805_o.jpg
    107799530_3134246556624589_1076460562676936805_o.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 11
  • brown chicken sleep area.jpg
    brown chicken sleep area.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 13
people said to get a cardboad boxes and tape them, I havent found any, wre do I get cardboard?

Some people have lots of cardboard, so it is easy and cheap for them. That's why they suggested it. If you ask at a store, sometimes they will give you big cardboard boxes that things come to the store in. (But sometimes not.)

Cardboard works, wood works, anything large and flat works. It just needs to keep chicks in for a few weeks.

I dont know were to get a clamp, proly hardware shop 2 hours away called bunnings, but there might be in this suburb

and I dont know what 1"X6 means, coudltn find what it means on google

1x6 means a board (piece of wood) 1 inch thick, 6 inches wide, and any length.
In some places, it is easy and cheap to buy.

Clamps and pieces of board are things that some people already have sitting around at their houses, so that is what they use.

People are suggesting things that they use, because you might have some of the same things to use (but you might not have those things, because some people do and some people do not.)

but its cold really cold at night so put a few towels on top on the lid? not sure how the lamp will stil shine into the brooder with thew towels on

The lamp would shine in through the top at one end, and the towels would cover the other end of the top.

How cold is "really cold"? Do you know the actual temperature? Does water freeze?

also the chiken starter running out, how much should I ration, its 4 chiks?

It is best for the chicks to have as much starter as they want.
Four chicks together might eat about 10 pounds of starter in the first 6 weeks.
Sometimes they spill more than they eat, sometimes not.
If they spill the feed, move the dish to a new spot, and they might eat some of the spilled feed too.

put the thermometer in where the chicks are. adjust the distance of the lamp to make the thermometer read about 90 degrees F. start from farther away than you have it now and bring it in a little at a time. be patient. it will take a bit of time for the temperature to stabilize. if you go too far, they will get overheated again.
good luck

When can you get more food? Chicks should not be rationed. Do you have feed for the big chickens? If so, what kind?

maybe gona get chik feed today my mum says

I have to wait till day time to check the big chiken feed name

That box is perfect for hens to lay eggs. Just take out whatever that metal thing is and put dried leaves or hay in the bottom and then put the fake egg in it

thanks about the box, the metal thing is an old ironing table, I think its there to kinda guide the chiken there, coz the box is like 1.5 metre high, last time I check, I havnet been in there for a while since I get itchy when I go there, senstive skin,

also I dont know if sje still hangs there coz maybe the other chikens proly kicked her out, but I will put 2 fake eggs there

I have 1kg of hemp, is that good to put in the box?

If your mother and father started this, they should be sorting this out.
It's really best to prepare before hand for chicks.

yer I want my parents to do the stuff, I got stuf to do, but I feel if I dont do stuff, would be unesecary sufering for the chiken, or im over worrier or paranoid, they seem unconcered blase' also my mum asked me for help with the chik,when first eggs didnt hatch, she then said dw about it, but yer I feel like bad stuff will hapen if I dont find out how to do it properly, but maybe im over worry, worry for nothing

Some people have lots of cardboard, so it is easy and cheap for them. That's why they suggested it. If you ask at a store, sometimes they will give you big cardboard boxes that things come to the store in. (But sometimes not.)

Cardboard works, wood works, anything large and flat works. It just needs to keep chicks in for a few weeks.

1x6 means a board (piece of wood) 1 inch thick, 6 inches wide, and any length.
In some places, it is easy and cheap to buy.

Clamps and pieces of board are things that some people already have sitting around at their houses, so that is what they use.

People are suggesting things that they use, because you might have some of the same things to use (but you might not have those things, because some people do and some people do not.)

The lamp would shine in through the top at one end, and the towels would cover the other end of the top.

How cold is "really cold"? Do you know the actual temperature? Does water freeze?

It is best for the chicks to have as much starter as they want.
Four chicks together might eat about 10 pounds of starter in the first 6 weeks.
Sometimes they spill more than they eat, sometimes not.
If they spill the feed, move the dish to a new spot, and they might eat some of the spilled feed too.

ok thanks for info
I insterted a pic of a plastic tub I got, thats good?

one sheet of paper towels is good enough for the whole floor?
or should put some news paper then paper twoel on top?

coz woried the plastic tub would get hotter?

the intnert says this morning at 4 am is 4.7 c and sat 0 c fri 2 c thur 3 c

I get a new no battery thermomter 1 oct or 7

Attachments

• 20200927_053342[1].jpg
    20200927_053342[1].jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 7
one sheet of paper towels is good enough for the whole floor?
or should put some news paper then paper twoel on top?

Probably newspaper, then paper towel on top.

the intnert says this morning at 4 am is 4.7 c and sat 0 c fri 2 c thur 3 c

I agree, that is cold for little chicks. But as long as the heat lamp keeps them the right temperature, they will be fine. They do not care about the temperature outside, only the temperature where they are. And if they are in a brooder in the house, it is easy to keep them warm enough.

Back
Top Bottom