Just got my baby chicks and need some help.

GreenSpirit Hydro

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Just got a box of 25 chicks this morning. 4 were dead on arrival the rest were taken out of the box, beaks dipped in water and allowed to start eating. At first all looked good and were eating and being chicks. In the past few hours a few have died and I am nervous I may loose more. What could be the problem or cause them to die when at first they were very responsive? I have a brooder, temps are staying around 80 degrees. Also, a few are pretty aggressive and are occasional pecking at others. How can I stop this?

They might be cold. Search around- but I think the need to be in the 90's.

From the learning center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/raising-chickens-basics.php
New
Chick Care First 60 Days:

* Young Chick Housing - Can be as simple as a sturdy cardboard box or a small animal cage like one you'd use for rabbits.
* Flooring - Pine shavings work best
* Temperature - 90 to 100 deg. for the first week, decrease 5 deg. per week. A 100 watt bulb pointing in one corner (not the whole house) works well.
* Food & water - chick crumbles / starter & a chick waterer
* Play time - Play with your chicks when young to get the use to being around people.
* Outside time - Section off an area in your yard where the chicks can explore, scratch, etc. Make sure you can catch them when it's time to come in.
* More details: Raising Chicks

Last edited:
Try to get the temp to 95 first of all, that's about where it should be. Sorry to hear about your chicks....hopefully raising the temp might keep the rest nice and warm!

Angie

Definitely raise the temperature to the 90's as the others have said. Also, I've heard adding Polyvisol to the water will perk them up.

It up to about 99-100 degrees. Is that okay or still a little to hot? When I raised the temps things got quite and now they are mostly sleeping!

I am very sorry about the loss. Those above are right. 95 is starting temp then lower it 5 degrees a week. They can suffocate when they are cold because they pile on top of each other. If they continue to pick once the temp is up you can switch to a red light lamp bulb. This is suppose to reduce picking. Best wishes to you and your chicks.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

You may want to try Dlhunicorn's homemade Pedialyte recipe to get them though this....these are both hers (giving credit where it is due...)

here is a recipe for a homemade Ringers solution from a rehabber (you do need salt substitute though):

1 1/4 teasoon sodium chloride (NaCl, common salt)

1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

rounded 1/2 teaspoon potassium chloride (commonly called "Muriate of Potash" >>>Salt substitutes contain mostly potassium chloride)

2 tablespoons glucose (a common source is corn syrup)

add above to 1/2 gallon water

HTH
Nadine

If you do not have that then you can make your own emergency electrolyte solution:
(emergency electrolyte solution WHO):
1 cup of water
2 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
(make fresh daily)​

It up to about 99-100 degrees. Is that okay or still a little to hot?

It might be a few degrees too hot. If you're worried about it getting too hot for them, put the heatlamp slightly offset to one side so that the chicks can get away from the heat if they get too warm.​

Yes, it might be a tad too warm, but if they have room to move away towards the edges where it's a little cooler, they will self regulate after a bit. There should be some variation.

Keep the feed out of the -direct- heat, they will move there to eat, then move back towards the heat after to get warm and manage their own temps.

If they're scattered around when active but going in to the warmer area part of the time, that's good.

Back
Top Bottom