Just got the call

enjoy your new chickies.maybe i shouldnt have come back here lolol,now im getting chick fever.but i think im immuned to it now.

Congratulations!!
yesss.gif
My post office called me at 6 am and let me come right away to get them! I also ordered from Murray McMurray, the brown egg layer special. Have fun with your new babies!!
jumpy.gif

Chicks in the brooder

This is the chick with feathers on its feet. The mystery chick. Any ideas?

Boys holding their chicks

Quick lock it up Barney is coming!

Barney the cat on the prowl (he has never bothered a chicken, don't take chances with the chicks)

(sorry don't know how to rotate them)

So I took these with my IPOD sorry for the quality. Wife teaching today can't tell me where she hid the camera.

That is my old dog house converted to a brooder. Wife says no more chicks in the house. Guess she likes to be the only "chick" in the house.

My EcoGlow will be here tomorrow and I can get rid of the white light. Currently have a 250w red light and a 150w white light in there to keep the temp up. The big opening has a door that swings down connected to a pulley. Have a remote thermometer in there directly under the lights and right by the door. I can read them right next to the sink in the kitchen.

The chicks will run out on the "patio" look around for a minute then run right back to the light. No one is panting, no huddling. They are all eating and drinking. A few taking naps off by themselves or under the light.

Barney the cat isn't sure what to make of them.

Last edited:
Apyl, Thanks! McKenely5 congrats.

From the time McMurray sent me the text saying they were on the way to the time I picked them up was 25 hours. I'd says that was pretty good. Especially, since people have been saying deliveries to South Carolina (and a few other states) have been slow.

So far I'm very happy. My boys are kneeling outside the brooder watching them dart around. "They're so cuuuuute!" "Daddy, they need diapers!" "Daddy that one needs a time out for picking that one!" "Daddy, birds have beaks." "Why are the fuzzy? Our other ones aren't." "Can I hold the yellow one?"

Doesn't get better than that. Well enough of you "people" time to get back to the chickens!
wee.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Are those doggie wee-wee pads in your brooder? What a GREAT idea!

I got mine this morning too. Small town post office...he said, "Mrs. McKenley, we have some little birdies for you. You can come get them whenever, you don't have to wait until we open. Just ring the bell and we will bring them out."

He called at 5:19, we were in the car at 5:24!! When my husband called last week to give them the heads-up, the postmaster said they get deliveries here at 8 and 10. I was surpised (but HAPPY) that he called earlier! My 12 year old son got to go with me to pick them up before school.

I'm actually using paper towels in my brooder. I gave all my puppy pads to my dad when our dog died. He was old and thought peeing in front of the TV was way better than going outside. Although the pee pad thing looks like a super idea, more weight to hold em down, absorb liquids and come in a supper pack from Costco.

Our chicks shipped yesterday (got the email last night). They didn't get here this morning, so I am thinking tomorrow morning hopefully. The town I live in is a mail "black hole" but I am hoping the chicks won't have the same issues as my letters. The post office was nice when I called to warn them they were coming and said they would call me right away.

I have out brooder set up, and I am covering the pine shavings with torn open brown paper bags from the grocery. Here is a picture of the brooder without the pine shavings covered:

I have a 125 bulb in there right now, but it doesn't seem warm after being on for several hours. Do you think I should move up to a 250? I am going to get a thermometer today to check the temp.

Any way...I won't thread jack anymore! Congrats on your new babies! I can't wait for mine to get here.

Back
Top Bottom