Just hatched 3 refrigerator eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by racuda, Oct 22, 2010.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    My Silkie decided to go broody, so I raided the fridge. I found 3 eggs that I thought were hers amongst the Cochin eggs. They hatched!

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    wow, do you have pics?

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Nearly all of the eggs that I hatch spend time in the refrigerator as I accumulate enough for a batch. And they are washed to boot.

Age, more than anything, is what I am finding to be the critical factor. Over a week old and the hatch rate begins to sag. Over ten days old and it really starts to go downhill.

4. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i also hatched some, 3 or 4, last hatch. they are running around outside in my yard or maybe i sold them. i wanted to fill that bator! my refrigerated eggs were all 7-10 days old, from before i had decided to incubate.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    the fridge is the best place to store your eggs, i have hatched eggs 2 weeks old from the fridge, just keep them turned once a day.

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    That's AWESOME! Congratulations!

I have about 6 fridge babies in lockdown and today is hatch day. I also have layers that are 1, 2 and 2.5 years old that are happy and healthy girls, I get some of the prettiest eggs from these birds. DH just can't believe that everytime I set eggs I always raid the fridge to see if I can get some to hatch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  7. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    me too pink...seems such a shame to waste what in actuality are two or three or four more chances at hens! especially as i am trying to add to my black java flock so that i can actually MEET the orders i currently have...4 eggs from the fridge means 4 50% shots at more layers...

i don't sell refrigerated eggs of course, but for me, why not give it a shot! those hovabators sure are big and a week's worth of eggs just look lonely. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by