Just hatched baby Serama chick having motor difficulties- can it be helped?

Wow, so much has happened since I last updated this thread.

My little blind chick is still alive and well and doing much better I'm happy to report! He, yes- I said he- as I think his comb is too big to be a female- has now just figured out how to eat on his own! Took him 11 weeks, but he is now filling his crop with chick crumbles! He still does not know how to drink on his own. A little more work with that and maybe he'll be drinking on his own too. He is growing- quite fast actually as if making up for lost time. Feathers are starting to come in left and right- lots of pin feathers. Some rusty red and some that are dark grey. I also think now he might not be as blind as I thought- He has done things that make me think that he can see but that his vision is just very messed up. He still has the neck spasms though. Overall, he seems better, happier. I am much relieved at his eating on his own!

Here are some recent pictures- taken last week. He looks rather scruffy in them. He actually has grown more since these were taken, but its all I got on the ol' computer right now to share, but I will update again.

Still hoping that he will pull through. He's done such a great job already. It took some time, but he's really 'gettin' there'. Just want to shout out a special thanks to all you who have posted here and helped support me support him!

Thank you so much for the update.

He is such a sweetie
love.gif

I'm so glad to hear he is still going - eating on his own - what a milestone!

You have done so well in taking care of him, I'm sure others will be inspired and your information on his care will be useful.

Hey, just an update.

Chibby is doing well. Still blind, and still needs me to put his head to the bowl of food about 5 times a day, but he is really quite a character. He makes a great lap pet too. Right now he is behind me on the floor, wearing a diaper, and scrunching his toes on tissue paper. (I suppose he likes the crunchy feel of it? He likes running his beak up and down curtains too.) He is the calmest chicken I know. Trusting. Adorable. He likes being in front of the tv the most. I suppose that the voices and sound from the tv put him at ease, like he is a part of a flock. He wanders around the floor with his chicken diaper on... so thankful someone makes such a thing. He gets a bath every week or two and has his own sleeping quarters- a converted clear storage container with enough room for him to roam around in a bit. Mostly, every day he is out wandering and keeping busy with whatever he is doing. Thank you Diapers by Sky for the diapers! They work very well and no complaints from Chibby when he's wearing them.

Just want to share a current photo or two...

Just wanted to update again.

Chibs is doing great. I still have to help feed him but his feeding time goes very smoothly now unlike those first days. Its pretty much routine now and Chibby knows what to do and what's expected of him.

I also found out he has some vision, so he is not totally blind like I had originally thought.

There is not much else to share other than he's doing just fine. He's a great little pet. Because he is so docile, he's a hit with the kids.

Just wanted to update again.

Chibs is doing great. I still have to help feed him but his feeding time goes very smoothly now unlike those first days. Its pretty much routine now and Chibby knows what to do and what's expected of him.

I also found out he has some vision, so he is not totally blind like I had originally thought.

There is not much else to share other than he's doing just fine. He's a great little pet. Because he is so docile, he's a hit with the kids.
How is he doing now? Sadly I hatched a little chick just like him - bulgy eyes, not eating/drinking, walks backwards, loses balance, and seems to have very bad vision. :( She is 2 days old. I will try the b vitamins and selenium, is that all you supplemented with to help him?

Thanks so much for your time!

Back
Top Bottom