1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just hatched...HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Leeloo11400, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Leeloo11400

Leeloo11400 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Happy C's Farm, Texas
    Wednesday I woke up to a new baby hatching from her egg. She had started a zipper, but didn't get very far. I left her alone for a while and when I returned she had made no progress. I left her alone through the night and by morning there was still no progress. At this point I thought she had passed on. When I went to take care of it later, she was peeping and moving, but still no progress. At this point my daughter and I helped her along. Since then she has been alive, peeping, and moving, but cannot walk (her legs seemed drawn up) and now she has what looks like sores on her body. Her foot/leg, wing, neck, and even a little one on her beak. What could this be and what should I do? She doesn't seem like she's going to make it, but I've thought that for days.

[​IMG]

BTW, I set 31 eggs and this is only the third to hatch. Two hatched at day 23/24 and this one started on day 25. When we did the water test at day 24, 8 eggs were moving, but at this point I believe all are lost.

Thank you all,

Leah

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    That's very painful to watch, and I have been there, too. That is a very late hatch, and I always end up losing those. I've never had them with sores, but I have had the curled toes that I see in your pic. If the chick is otherwise healthy, that can be corrected, but hatching so late and having other problems, I'm afraid culling is the best.
    What were you incubating in? Sounds like maybe your temperature was a bit low, and maybe humidity a bit high

3. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    Sorry to hear. We too have had problems with chicks hatching that late, they never seem to make it. Our problem was the incubator running too cold, the chicks were not hatching until day 24/26 and they had absolutely no energy when they did, poor things. Hope you have better luck next time.

4. Leeloo11400

Leeloo11400 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Happy C's Farm, Texas
    She passed last night. Very sad!

As far as the incubator, this was my very first hatch. The temp always read between 98.9 and 100.1 and the humidity was usually around 44% until I put two wet rags in at lockdown (someone suggested). I believe I had the incubator in the wrong location in the house and it was just too drafty. I started a second hatch and have moved locations, put a blanket over it, and have tried to forget it. The first hatch I opened quite a few times because I was so stinking excited. I do believe this is what ultimately did my little babes in. I have learned my lesson. Thanks so much for posting your encouragements.

Leah

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    What kind of bator are you using? It really does make a difference where the incubator is. Especially with foam bators and keeping the temps steady. Still air bators also need to be run at 101-102 degrees instead of the 99.5 that is recommended for forced air. Also, a lot of people that haven't had very good hatches, (especially with the foam bators) have switched to dry incubation for the first 17 days and have had much better results. another thing I recommend is always having more than one thermometer. Opening the bator during the first 17 days of incubation shouldn't effect it much unless it's being left open for long periods and/or causing major temp flunctuations.
    First hatches are very much live and learn hatches. Many of us have had awful first hatches, have learned from them and have had awesome hatches after that. Don't dwell on it too much and know it's par for course. Good luck on teh next hatch!

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    One of the things about letting the hatch finish is they need to push with their feet to get the egg shell off it makes them strong. They take a while to hatch and it is painful to watch but they are just resting in the shell till they are strong enough to get out. If they have already zipped but not come out of the shell yet, still leave them in there. if they can breathe they are fine, if a chick can be shipped with out food or water for 3 days than it can sit in it's shell for a bit. I had a chick with a messed up foot once, it cured its self after 2 weeks. Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by