Just Hatched

Goldfire7

Songster
6 Years
Jul 3, 2017
This is my first time ever hatching ducks or anything and I have two questions.

Two out of 5 have hatched so far, about 2 hours ago. Is it okay if they are bashing around the other 3 eggs? They are pretty active little guys.

Second, 2 of the last 3 have externally pipped but have not made anymore progress. Today is day 28. Is it normal for ducks to be a day or so late? One pipped 9 a.m. EST this morning and the other early Wednesday morning. I know their alive I've seen them wobble around just not poking the shell any.
They are White Layer shipped eggs.

Thank you.

20180222_171306.jpg

Hello everyone.
Baby 5 was convulsing and at deaths doors all night long in the incubator on one side stiff and looking like it was going to go at any time. I got up this morning and nothing was any better so I used left over quick chick powder from my last order of ducks and mixed up some water. I put him in a box inside the brooder and kept hand watering him and he slowly began to come back to life within a couple hours.
Not knowing how to walk I put him with everyone else after he awoke from his slumber and he learned within minutes.
Message_1519497489723.jpg

sleep.jpg

I found that a very light mist of warm water on the pip site of the egg after a long wait seems to stimulate it. Right after the mist it began to zip. It has made considerable progress in the last 5 minutes. I did the same with the first 2 that hatched.

Attachments

• waitforme.jpg
    waitforme.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6
Adorable ducklings! Congrats on the hatchers. :love

I just wanted to point out that ducks can take longer to hatch than chicks. Its not uncommon for ducklings to go 40 hours past external pip to zip, whereas chickens tend to zip under 24 hours. Ducklings also like to smack the shell and make several pips before they decide to zip. They seem to enjoy testing our patience. :D

They need to be fully feathered before going outside for good, and introduced very slowly with supervision. You never know how older ducks will take to newbies so on nice days take the babies outside and let your 2 older ducks see them and meet them but be right there in case someone wants to be a bully. Most of the time the older ducks will be afraid of the younger ones but they can't protect themselves if someone wants to pick on them so you have to protect them. Look forward to updates

Thank you. I have read that entire guide a couple times before just incase this ever had to happen. Just checked and I guess the little guys made him want to join the party. Hes working his way out now.

Back
Top Bottom