Just Hatched

Goldfire7

Songster
6 Years
Jul 3, 2017
This is my first time ever hatching ducks or anything and I have two questions.

Two out of 5 have hatched so far, about 2 hours ago. Is it okay if they are bashing around the other 3 eggs? They are pretty active little guys.

Second, 2 of the last 3 have externally pipped but have not made anymore progress. Today is day 28. Is it normal for ducks to be a day or so late? One pipped 9 a.m. EST this morning and the other early Wednesday morning. I know their alive I've seen them wobble around just not poking the shell any.
They are White Layer shipped eggs.

Thank you.

20180222_171306.jpg

Pretty impressive hatch rate for shipped eggs and a first time! First, it is completely fine that the are hitting the eggs in there. Some people even say that it encourages them to hatch! you can take the hatched ducklings out when they are completely dry. Also, it's okay that they are taking their time. it is only after 24 hours after pipping and no hatching that you should become concerned. maybe you should check on the one that pipped yesterday? if you need to intervene there is a great guide to assisted hatching here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

Best of luck! :fl

Thank you. I have read that entire guide a couple times before just incase this ever had to happen. Just checked and I guess the little guys made him want to join the party. Hes working his way out now.

sleep.jpg

I found that a very light mist of warm water on the pip site of the egg after a long wait seems to stimulate it. Right after the mist it began to zip. It has made considerable progress in the last 5 minutes. I did the same with the first 2 that hatched.

Attachments

• waitforme.jpg
    waitforme.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom