Just Hatched

Adorable ducklings! Congrats on the hatchers. :love

I just wanted to point out that ducks can take longer to hatch than chicks. Its not uncommon for ducklings to go 40 hours past external pip to zip, whereas chickens tend to zip under 24 hours. Ducklings also like to smack the shell and make several pips before they decide to zip. They seem to enjoy testing our patience. :D

At what age would they be ready to be introduced to my two almost 7 month old girls?

They need to be fully feathered before going outside for good, and introduced very slowly with supervision. You never know how older ducks will take to newbies so on nice days take the babies outside and let your 2 older ducks see them and meet them but be right there in case someone wants to be a bully. Most of the time the older ducks will be afraid of the younger ones but they can't protect themselves if someone wants to pick on them so you have to protect them. Look forward to updates

Baby 5 has just hatched with some help. He has a medium small ball of yolk still not absorbed but it looks clean and normal. I cleaned it with saline (I hope that's not wrong) and will let him rest from the others in the incubator.
20180223_124230.jpg

Hello everyone.
Baby 5 was convulsing and at deaths doors all night long in the incubator on one side stiff and looking like it was going to go at any time. I got up this morning and nothing was any better so I used left over quick chick powder from my last order of ducks and mixed up some water. I put him in a box inside the brooder and kept hand watering him and he slowly began to come back to life within a couple hours.
Not knowing how to walk I put him with everyone else after he awoke from his slumber and he learned within minutes.
Message_1519497489723.jpg

Back
Top Bottom