Just hatching Narragansett Heritage Turkey Poults...tips and tricks!

Urchickchic

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2017
first timer for turkeys. Have hatched and brooded two clutches of chicks successfully. First two of five eggs have hatched an hour ago and they are getting around well.
Please share with me any insight on poults especially differences from brooding chicks. I know they are delicate.
Thanks!

Poults need to be taught what to eat and drink. I use my finger and peck at the feed. Make sure you see them eating and drinking. Shiny glass rocks will attract them too.

I brood them a bit warmer than chicks for that first week. They can be a bit clumsy too for a bit sometimes.

A higher protein feed is recommended for the first 4 weeks. Poults are definitely different than chicks.

Update — my four poults are five days old and all are now eating and drinking on their own. We’re not out of the woods yet but feeling much better. They go to their new home tomorrow, which will entail a four hour car ride. I’m going to put them in a box with an orthopedic heat wrap to help keep them warm. I will also not run the AC in the car.

Back
Top Bottom