Just have to vent...

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
So we got a puppy. A German Shepherd puppy. He's adorable, he's sweet....he's satanic.

He can be so sweet one minute and then turn into a puppy terror the next. I don't like to interact with him...he's not trained and Brandon let's him get away with everything. I'm ALWAYS the "bad guy". I have to be firm when I tell the puppy to not come with me, Brandon laughs and says "he wants to go with you!"

The dog is crapping every where in the house. I told him he needs to take him out every hour or so...guess who isn't. I don't feel like I should be the one to take out the daggum dog every hour.

I know it's not the puppy's fault...just getting really ticked at the WHOLE ordeal. It's turned me off ever getting a puppy again. He thinks the dog is well on his way to being trained because he can already sit, down and stay sometimes. I realize he's smart...but why does he do this stuff? I realize it's not on purpose and he's just not understanding our rules yet.

Again, I realize it's not the puppy's fault...just needing to get this off my chest...

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I always say that each puppy is the 'last' one. At this point any puppy added may well outlive me.
old.gif
gig.gif

Two words: Crate Training

We had one GSD - the best dog that I have evere been associated with. He was crate trained - automatically house trained -NEVER urinated or defecated in the house.
idunno.gif

Doing crate training. He's crate trained (thanks Jamie!!) but it's like there's this mental block to being house trained.

We take him out immediately after he gets out of the crate, after drinking, eating and sleeping...just frustrating....

Tether him to you. If he isn't able to follow you, into the crate. If you are doing something that requires your full attention, in the crate.
He's pottying in the house because he has learned that it's ok. Get a good enzyme cleaner for every spot he's pottied or rent a steam cleaner.
Taking him out on a schedule is great, but it sounds like his internal closk inst meshing with yours.

They call german shepherd puppies "landsharks" for a reason. Lots of exercise and if he starts to go for you, shove a chewy in his mouth. He's going to have to be taught that he can't bite, a big reason pups are better off leaving their litter later rather than sooner.

Tether him to you. If he isn't able to follow you, into the crate. If you are doing something that requires your full attention, in the crate.
He's pottying in the house because he has learned that it's ok. Get a good enzyme cleaner for every spot he's pottied or rent a steam cleaner.
Taking him out on a schedule is great, but it sounds like his internal closk inst meshing with yours.

They call german shepherd puppies "landsharks" for a reason. Lots of exercise and if he starts to go for you, shove a chewy in his mouth. He's going to have to be taught that he can't bite, a big reason pups are better off leaving their litter later rather than sooner.

He's not snapping or nipping at all...just wants to be in the thick of everything. We've completely stopped any nipping and "nipped" it in the butt. *teehee*

The other dogs and cat have helped with the biting issues he had within the first week. Tethering is a good idea..might start that up. Thanks!​

He's been tethered for about 2 hours now...

He's learning how to NOT pull on the leash and that howling won't get him what he wants at the same time. Oh joy...Ah well. I'm sure having the cat taunting him just out of reach is REALLY helping the situation.

I feel your pain! Most puppies we've gotten were at 8 weeks. Logan came at 14 weeks. Let me tell you, I will never take a puppy less than 12 weeks ever again!

Tethering is effective, stick with it. Nothing like all day training to get the point across. He'll sleep better at night from the mental stimulation. Incorporate little games for treats too.

The only drawback is he'll become your shadow and you'll never go to the bathroom alone again.
lol.png

What fun is it to go to the bathroom without an entourage!
wink.png
I've had one for the past 5 years. As well as having a game-supervisor who reaches her cat-claw under the door to play mind games with the Shih Tzu!

Is his poop soft or normal? If it is softer than a formed stool then he probaby cannot help it. I would evaluate what he is eating and maybe cut down on his food and see what happens. Did you ever get another fecal done on him? He might still have worms. His inability or lack of desire to hold his poo can also have to do with his living conditions before you got him. If his area with his Mom and siblings was full of poop then you can be sure he has 'dirty dog' syndrome, in which the dog doesn't learn to keep the living area clean by moving out and way to go poo and pee.

Pooping so often is not normal though..so think about those suggestions and try and figure out what is going on....
hugs.gif

Poo is finally normal! Vet said he is in great shape and when we did the fecal a week ago there were no eggs or any signs of worms. We wormed anyway and the vet suggested another round before ceasing the wormings.

He eats dry food only, which seemed to help with the poo. All food stops at 6 and the water at 8PM. He was just wormed again last Sunday and Brandon's been going a "smidge" overboard on the treats with training so I think that may have something to do with all the poo.

Back
Top Bottom