Just in time for Christmas. I have 11 lab puppies born 11/09/08.

I would like to see pics of everyones puppies
big_smile.png

I have always known 6 weeks was the age they are ready to go. If they are eating on their own. If their Mom is weaning them and trying to keep them from sucking. Its time to go. She needs to get her health back. I will do what is best for them. These are purebred puppies. They are going to the best homes. I have 11 to place and thats the hardest part of it. I will talk to a vet first though. Thanks for your advice. You worded it so I didnt feel attacked!! LOL I appreciate advice, I dont like know it alls. Thats how alot comes out on this site.

Large litters need to come away from mama earlier or you wear your mama down. Saw that too often with my shepards who had litters of 10 - 13 almost always. The only reason to keep them with her past 6 weeks is for socialization not health. I wish I was closer I would love one of them. Got pics of the little cutie pies? [edit] cannot wait to see pics.

Last edited:
I am with you on the 6 week thing. I tend to think if you go with what the mom is doing (weaning and distancing herself from them), that should be a better indication of whats right than what a human decides.

I got a Skye terrier mix from a local breeder 2 yrs ago and he was 12 weeks old. All the extra time with those people did was make him even more scared/shy and I could never make him like strangers or other dogs. They of course left their puppies with the parent dogs all that time, unless people were there to manhandle them while choosing a littermate. Now, my now 9 week old puppy that I have had for 2 weeks loves kids, my other 3 dogs, the chickens, riding in the car, accepts any new foods and is happy as can be. Personally I think it is due to the fact that we got her before she got too set in her ways or influenced by her previous surroundings. I suppose theres exceptions to every situation though.

This is my Shelby. She's a sweetie.
Pic_02Oct152008.jpg

Pic_04Oct152008.jpg

Last edited:
Not taking any side, but in some places it's illegal (yes illegal!) to sell them before they are 8 weeks old. You may want to check regulations in your area.

Denece&Lacey :

At 6 weeks puppies are plenty old enough. They are weaned. If they arent ready to go by then, I will keep them. I didnt know this was gonna start a debate or I wouldnt have put the ad on here. This was just for people interested. I have raised puppies before. I will have to get them off the mama as soon as I can so she wont get too run down. There are 11 of them eating on her. I have noticed anytime I or anybody else puts anything on this site it turns into somebody trying to tell them they know more. It happens constantly. This isn't a contest. Whether it be dogs or chickens.

I, in no way, was trying to tell you what to do, what was best for your dogs or be a know it all...I just gave my opinion. I am not ashamed to say that I don't breed dogs and never have, I just said I Personally think .... Just because it is my opinion doesn't mean it is right or wrong or that you are right or wrong. I hope you were not offended by my post because I did not mean to offend you at all! It is hard to portray tone of voice over the computer.​

Hmm..my shih tzu did perfectly fine when we took her away from her mother at 2 weeks of age.

Then again...the mother WAS eating the puppies....

Back
Top Bottom