Just into the brooder! Help please .

New2quaill

Chirping
Sep 14, 2021
Hi all,
First time I’ve ever hatched anything ..
Had two quail hatch early this morning . Moved them into the brooder just now . It’s an Ecoglow. Have it lowered pretty low to the ground, seeing as there so small. At first they hated it , running around ect . now they go under.. and soooo silent .. is that ok? Barley a peep.. they were Soo noisy peeping in the incubator after they hatched, how .. nothing at all.. or a very subtle peep. .when they go under the eco glow .. should I put them back into incubator for awhile?

But also my main concern is they haven’t had any water . I showed it to them by dipping there beaks into when I put them in the brooder pen.. but no interest, same as with the food . just wanted to see if I’m doing this correctly .
Thanks !

Attachments

• 03EFB0F2-EA2F-429C-B59B-A29195496651.jpeg
    03EFB0F2-EA2F-429C-B59B-A29195496651.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 056991D9-DF41-4E36-A5AB-3A3DB7FE21A8.jpeg
    056991D9-DF41-4E36-A5AB-3A3DB7FE21A8.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 8C27130F-1BD4-4B46-9C93-C6CB253C523E.jpeg
    8C27130F-1BD4-4B46-9C93-C6CB253C523E.jpeg
    486.8 KB · Views: 10
Disclaimer....I am not a hatcher.

However....they should be ok or 2 days post hatch due to their absorbed yolks.

The food is perhaps to big for such small birds. For my bantams I always crush the chick feed so it's almost the size of sand so they can eat it. I also sprinkle some on the paper towels so it's SUPER easy to find.
Ok I’ll try crushing the crumbles up into more like sand and sprinkle it as well, thanks! One did seem interested for a min, but then went under the heater and that was it .. figured they were tired . Just made me nervous non stop excitement and peeping after they hatched, then totally just laid down under the brooder and now sleeping lol.

Well one drank and got the hint, and Bobbed her head . The other , no Interest, wide and alert yes but pecked a little at the newly ground down food, but no interest on the water yet. Now both back right under the brooder
Once one gets it usually the other follow suit. Keep an eye on them, and if still no change do it until she gets the hint.

Oh haha good! I read somewhere if they are to quiet and still means there cold so was nervous . I peak behind occasionally and the two are just sleeping away for the last hour or so, not including when woke them up To showed them where the water was again lol.
I’m pretty sure when they’re cold they’ll be loud. At least, that’s how mine let me know.

Hi all,
First time I’ve ever hatched anything ..
Had two quail hatch early this morning . Moved them into the brooder just now . It’s an Ecoglow. Have it lowered pretty low to the ground, seeing as there so small. At first they hated it , running around ect . now they go under.. and soooo silent .. is that ok? Barley a peep.. they were Soo noisy peeping in the incubator after they hatched, how .. nothing at all.. or a very subtle peep. .when they go under the eco glow .. should I put them back into incubator for awhile?

But also my main concern is they haven’t had any water . I showed it to them by dipping there beaks into when I put them in the brooder pen.. but no interest, same as with the food . just wanted to see if I’m doing this correctly .
Thanks !
Silence is fine, sometimes. If there is no peeping at all that’s maybe a concern, but if there’s a tiny chirp every once in a while, that just means they are satisfied. When you put their beaks in water, did they swallow? If not then try it again. Put some food on the ground. Usually they will peck at it. If not, after you stick their beaks in water, dip their beaks in the food. This will cause food to stick to their beaks. Also do you have any older quail? (when i say older i mean like a month older or less) If so they will teach the babies how to eat and drink.

Disclaimer....I am not a hatcher.

However....they should be ok or 2 days post hatch due to their absorbed yolks.

The food is perhaps to big for such small birds. For my bantams I always crush the chick feed so it's almost the size of sand so they can eat it. I also sprinkle some on the paper towels so it's SUPER easy to find.

Back
Top Bottom