Just joined in Western Quebec!

WryWrooster

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Pontiac
I’ve been lurking for several months now, ever since we popped our first eggs into the brand-new incubator. I was told this chicken thing was about raising our own food, but it’s hatched into something else altogether. I was tricked into it, but now I’m totally addicted.

Over half of the first batch hatched, and now we have a big flock. I was totally won over by the bantams – my 18-week-old Silver Phoenix rooster is my pride and joy. My Cochins (black and mottled) are hilarious, and I’ve become very attached to my Sultan rooster. We have a pair of white Silkies, a trio of buff Brahmas, and lots of colours of Japanese (aka Nagasaki). I’m also very fond of my little black Old English Game rooster and his lady – true aristocrats. Such a little gentleman!

We also have some standard Marans, Ameraucanas, and Chanteclers, not forgetting the coturnix quails and the bartavelle partridges. We also hatched ducks and turkeys, but had to get rid of them when we discovered we’re not allowed farm animals.

Even though we live way out in the country, our lot isn’t zoned for “farm” animals – I found that out when I applied for a permit to build the henhouse. So the chickens stay discreetly inside the barn most of the time. (I let a few run free when I’m working outside – they like to help me in the garden.) However we discovered recently that folks think we have “exotic birds” not chickens (I guess they’ve never seen a Silkie before!) so I’m no longer worried about getting caught. The Rooster Choir gets a little loud sometimes, but my nearest neighbour can’t complain – he lets his pig wander all over the village.

Because one neighbour has a pig, another has goats, and still another has geese, I’ve decided not to stress about the zoning thing. I’ll build the henhouse next spring (and call it a shed!) and tuck the run behind a row of shrubs.

Meanwhile, the pullets that hatched in spring are starting to lay, the brooder is full of Old English Game chicks, and the incubator is full of quail eggs. I’m off to the Shawville Fair this weekend, and in two weeks you’ll find us at the chicken swap meet in Renfrew, Ont. And maybe at the bird auction down near Chesterville, Ont., in October.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom