Just joined...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LeslieS, Nov 21, 2018.

1. LeslieS

LeslieS In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2018
    Southern Colorado, Zone 6A
    Hello! I live in southern Colorado on a ridge at 7k' altitude. We have a few acres, are off grid and building a house, and we want fresh eggs! But we do have bears, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, foxes...weasels, raccoons, skunks, you name it we got it.

I knit, love to bake bread, and we have a greenhouse that needs outfitting. Trying to be more self sufficient, and eat healthier.

So, hopefully we can have lots of great information exchanges!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome! Always room on the roost for a new friend around here, and we wont even put you through the pecking order, lol

3. LeslieS

LeslieS In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2018
    That's good to know!! LOL.
    Thanks for the welcome, Friend!

4. Welcome. Sounds like you are a busy bee. I like to stay busy too. The chickens will be a fun addition to your life there.

5. LeslieS

LeslieS In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2018
    Well, thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure they will, and so glad I found this fun community!

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Leslie and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

alexa009, sourland, rjohns39 and 7 others like this.
  7. LeslieS

LeslieS In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2018
    Wow, how wonderfully helpful! Thank you so much!

Best wishes to you too. Love your nickname!

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome! Wow, with that many predator's around, I sure hope that you built your coop like Fort Knox!

9. LeslieS

LeslieS In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2018
    LOL. That's a roger. Forgot to include flying predators too. The most prevalent owl here is the great horned. And I have seen a bald eagle too.

It'll be a challenge but I know there's help here!

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Yes, there is help here, and maybe you could ask other's in your states thread. Some of them may have the same predator problems as you do. Good luck with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: