Just joined!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rowdy Roosters, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Rowdy Roosters

Rowdy Roosters New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hello...I'm a newbie! New to chickens and a new member. I have joined because I have a chicken problem and believe that I may have a six month old speckled sussex with Mareks. She is part of a group of five that were vaccinated and have been part of our small flock since July. She has been symptomatic for about two weeks but there are no signs that anyone else is infected. Her symptoms started as a slight limp, which progressed to a major limp after about three days. I kept her in a small coop outside with her mates, but let the mates out during the day. She eats and drinks as per normal. Her limp has now progressed to her tripping over her wing and getting stuck on her side periodically. There are no visible lumps or bumps, no discoloration, nothing that seems broken. It is confusing and reading through all the info is not making it less confusing!
    At this point I need to know is it worth stressing her out by completely separating her from the flock? I know if it is Mareks the entire yard and flock will already have been contaminated. Should I just euthanize her and get her tested? Not sure what the best course of action is and can only hope that I have not thoroughly contaminated my flock and all ideas of starting my small hatchery. Any advice is appreciated.
    Cheers!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your sick hen. [​IMG]Unfortunately, it does sound like she may have Marek's disease. I would post about her in the Emergencies section of the forums, where I'm sure members would be glad to offer as much help as possible: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. There are currently a couple of threads in the Emergency forum with Marek's discussions going on. Feel free to join in the discussions.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen, X3 on try the Emergencies forum threads.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck![​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nambroth (user name) has compiled a very, thorough thread on Mareks. I believe it is called something like The Great big mareks thread. In any case if you put Mareks thread in the search box it should pop up. She had one bird come up with Mareks and it details all she has done to protect the rest of her flock etc.

1 person likes this.
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your hen troubles. It does sound like it may be Mareks. But to make sure, here is an excellent read on the disease:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

and one of the threads on it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock/0_30

I think euthanising and sending the hen off for necropsy may be a good idea. Here is a how-to go about doing that:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures/0_30

Fingers crossed [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your baby. [​IMG] It is never easy to watch them go downhill, especially with Mareks. Definitely stop by our emergency section for some help and support. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

10. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    [​IMG]

Glad you joined!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by