just laid a partial rubber egg...

Spinster_Sister

Songster
10 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Hawthorne, CA
my Parsley didn't look good the past few hours so I brought her inside for warmth. I just checked on her and she laid an egg with a rubbery shell. she was eating the remanents of the egg shell, so I don't know how much she actually released. What do I do? I still have liquid baytril..should I start her on that now?? A warm bath now?? She is looking much better now, more lively....but I don't know what to do...advice please???

KodakC182237.jpg

KodakC182238.jpg

Last edited:
was she sick with something already? is that why you have her on meds? i have had a couple of soft shells from different girls, and by what i've read on here it's normal to get a few rubbery ones. i think it means you need to up their calcium...i just make sure to offer oyster shells and will give them yogurt when i find one of them. sorry, i hope this is helpful.

my Parsley last laid almost 2.5 weeks ago. she was lethargic and with pale comb, wattles and face. she went to the vet and was given ivermectin and 12 days of baytril for possible eyp because she had a water balloon type of belly...like a loose deflated water balloon. she started squatting two days ago and yesterday she went to the laybox with her pal and stayed there until her pal was finished. she was really good most of the day, but when she went outside in the late afternoon she kept to herself and even her feet felt cold. she picked around alittle but jumped up onto me a few times for a cuddle. i brought her in because it is gusty and i wanted to her inside for warmth and quiet. it didn't take 15 minutes for her to pass the egg .... no song, no squeeks....i walked in on her eating some membrane and pecking/slurping at the egg.

oh yes, she was also going through a partial molt for the past week but that seems to have subsided for now....

so what do I do? can I assume that because it was a rubbery membrane that there is no shell inside to worry about? should I give her tums right now?

edit: I just gave her some poached chicken (in ginger, garlic, rosemary, tumeric) with her liquid baytril and crushed egg shell. she gobbled it down and looks so much better and spritely. i covered her cage and hopefully she will have a good restful sleep tonight. this has never happened to me before and with the vet visits, meds, xrays and declaration that her egg laying days are over....did she ever have Egg Yolk peritonitis?

Last edited:
My Parsley laid a perfect egg yesterday the 16th and I am wondering how long does it take for a hen to get back to laying "normally". I am still concerned that she may be "ill"...although there are no outward signs of it any longer and have been keeping a very close eye on her (almost paranoid/obsessive eye) and want to know when I can just totally relax about it. She isn't really showing signs today of laying (sharing the lay box with her buddy, singing or squatting) just grooming her new feathers quills and dustbathing under the coop waiting for Saffron to emerge.

Edit: I called Bayer Animal Health yesterday and asked how long is the withdrawal period for chickens from Baytril. The rep asked me for my full name and telephone number. I didn't give it and she transferred me to a tech who said "DO NOT EAT THE EGGS EVER".....said the "vet used the med off label and although that is 'not bad'...the vet should have told you that you cannot ever eat her eggs again".

Last edited:
I had understood that Baytril would make them sterile. Is there someone that knows the details/facts of Baytril?? I appreciate this info.

Thats what I thought too! That is why I started to kind of freak out over her shell-less egg , I thought she was sterile. Today my Parsley laid another second hard egg. Bayer AH told me that they have "absolutely no information regarding Poultry studies" in regards to their drug. They did emphasize to me NOT to eat her eggs....ever.

The threads I've read in regard to sterility may have been in conjunction with the hen's age or other situation unique to that hen. I don't even know if indeed, Parsley, had EYP. The vet said "she might have EYP" because she had fluid in her abdomen and pale comb/wattles/face upon the first visit. Then the following week when she hadn't laid an egg but was demonstrating squatting and visiting her laybox I had xrays taken and although they did not show any egg in process or cloudiness/tumor/shadows in her body, she still didn't rule out EYP. She said that Parsley could have a tumor and only an ultrasound could rule that out.

Back
Top Bottom