Just looked up Rhode Island Reds...

I thought what we had chickens for is the eggs production. What's with this huggy/kissie thing anyway. My dog hasn't cost what these chickens have so far. So if I considered them pets I could go a lot cheaper.
smile.png

I have had RIR's and here are my observations:

-Production RIR's are aggressive, flighty and just plain mean to others outside of their group (mine killed birds who flew into their fenced yard area and a rat in their coop- yes, killed)
-Production RIR's don't set/brood but are great egg layers
-Production RIR's are really hard on their environment

-Heritage RIR's are friendly but can be flighty if raised by hen mother rather than imprinted by humans
-Heritage RIR's are good layers and will set on eggs and are great mothers
-Heritage RIR's are pretty great chickens

So what is a production RIR? These are the ones being churned out by the big hatcheries as multi-use birds, these are the money makers- they lay well pretty much all year, they make great meat birds at the end of their egg laying career and they don't set on eggs so the egg farmers don't lose money dealing with broody hens. A heritage RIR, you can maybe find at the smaller, specialized hatcheries and breeders. These are the hens that are written about when you read about RIR's. So, depending on your chicken need/wants, I hope this bit of info. helps.

Quote:
My Production red is VERY friendly. The friendliest of all my breeds. I know where her sisters are, and they are all as friendly as well.

Could just be your batch of them. Maybe they were bred from an aggressive roo? I really don't know.. They are not normally aggressive at all.

some of the production red hens that we have had were some of the friendliest chickens. they would run right up to the truck when i got home. the true or heritage hens were kind of aloof but calm steady layers. roosters were agressive with both types.

Thanks for all the info, I have two
RIR pullets, bought purely because we liked
The deep mahogany colour they get here in NZ.

The money maker here is a Shaver and I think all
RIR are herritage birds here.

Having read all your experiences I can't wait for ours to grow up a bit. And also for them to blend in with our other 3 (a lot of bullying at the moment).

Last edited:
Sunday I bought a 9 mo old RIR and a BR from a gentleman on Craigslist. I was replacing two BO's that died in the last two months. I took the RIR back to him last night and traded for another BR. The RIR was very noisy and would yell at us when we got close to the coop. She was trying to dominant my BA - which I know is normal, pecking order and all. The RIR was very pretty and even gave us an egg during her 24 hr stay but I live in a subdivision and have already had my neighbors call the City to complain once about my chickens and their noise (long story). I'm sure if I had raised her from a baby, she would have been very tame but she ran from me every chance she got. The original owner said all of his chickens were hard to catch so I don't think he babied them as much as I did when mine were young.

mcjessen, next time it would be wise to quarantine the new birds to make sure they are parasite-free and healthy. It's pretty devastating to lose your chickens from a disease a new bird brought in. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom