Just looking for breed confirmation!

riverscape1

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Yes, I know its a roo! We've known that since before 3 weeks, when he started to practice his crow
wink.png

These are my two chicks hatched from a K5 hatching project. They look so mature compared to some of the other breed pix that I see posted here! She is a 5 week old Black Sex Link pullet. If I didn't know what she looked like as a chick I would think she's a cockeral because she has huge feet and is growing so fast.

I think that he is a red or amber sex link roo. He is 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 weeks in these pictures. Again he looks so mature compared to others. Is that true of these hybrids? Maturing fast, I mean. He was a very white chick so we initially thought he was a white leghorn. Next he had black shafts showing in his tail and wing/back feathers. Then he has started to show alot of buff/red/amber coloring on his breast and shoulders.

Thanks,
Donna

Peppy (her) and Ally (him)

93857_dsc00325.jpg

Ally's head profile

93857_dsc00322.jpg

Ally's pretty boy profile

93857_dsc00332.jpg

Ally today (5 1/2 weeks)

93857_dsc00338.jpg

Ally's other side (5 1/2 weeks)

93857_dsc00339.jpg

Pretty white bird!

Unfortunately, I can confirm he is not a red/gold sex link. Those boys have gold saddles and hackles, with some leakage sometimes into the wings and chest. Yours looks like it might be a Leghorn or a White Rock. I'm not an expert enough on those two breeds to tell which is which though
sad.png

Hope that helps!

Thank you Pele and Turken,
I had ruled out the "Whites" because I thought they were pure white. This little guy has alot of buff and slightly darker feathers coming in. They are more apparent in the today pix, but I think my flash reflected off of his light feathers making him look whiter than he is. His plummage is not soiled at all.

Chicky Chick Mama,
To answer your question, that is a black feather. He has some others showing in his wing and back area too.

Thanks for your thoughts on this one.

The reason I asked is I have a white chicken that was supposed to be buff orpington. But, like I said, he's white and his legs are yellow (orps are pale legged). He has 1 black/white striped tail feather, a reddish spot on each wing (getting darker daily) and some black flecks in the neck feathers. The picts of the wing spots don't do it justice.
82371_p5211216.jpg

82371_p5211193.jpg

82371_p5211219.jpg

I see what you mean. His coloring looks alot like our roo. His tail is almost identical. I can see the buff coloring around his neck too. How old is he? Ours was an unknown when hatched. He was in a bunch of incubated eggs gotten from a local farmer. Alot of the chicks were black sex links which led me to guess that the farm might be crossing varieties to create red sex links as well. He was a snowy white chick.

Donna

He is about 13 weeks old in those pictures. His wing spots are darker now. We got him at Rural King. At the time they had only BO's, BR's and RIR's. He was in the BO pullets and my son chose him because he was lighter than the others. They sometime carry leghorns at Rural King, but didn't have any in that week, so I'm guessing there was a mix up at the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom