Just lost another chick :-(

hac1224

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
I purchased 6 standard pullet chicks (red sex-links & gold comets) and 28 assorted bantam chicks from 2 different TSCs last week. I lost one tiny bantam that was weak from the first day last Friday night/Saturday morning. Then I went out this morning to find one of the gold comet chicks dead.
hit.gif
I don't know what happened to it.
hu.gif
I did notice yesterday that it was a little smaller than the other 5 standard chicks and wasn't as fiesty when I picked her up, but no other signs of problems. No pasty butt or crop impaction. Temperature is staying great and brooder clean and not too crowded. All of the other chicks are still doing great...what could've happened?

When the stores get them, they've been shipped as day olds. They put them straight into the sale bins, and what happens, happens. If you picked them up within a day or so of the store recieving them, then yes, you run a risk of a few dying. Shipping is really hard on them, and many many shipments of chicks have some DOA's and some that will die within a day or two. If you call your TSC, they will likely replace the dead chicks, but do it quickly, or it'll be on you, not them.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I just called and was told that they won't replace them but could give a small discount if I wanted to purchase more. I have more bantams than I need, anyway, and I don't know if they'd let me get just one replacement pullet chick. I did get them the day they received most of them because I'd rather risk losing them from being so young than losing them to a disease brought in after weeks of people handling them because they're cute. You know tons of people take their kids by the stores just to look and pet them which isn't good for the chicks. (I say this as a mom of 4.)

ETA: I did call back to find out if I could just purchase 2 as replacements instead of another 6, and they said that I could with receipts. I may go get 2 more pullets this weekend since I was counting on having at least 6 more (18 including my current layers) producing standard size eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom