Just lost my first birds. :(

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. We don't have weasels in Florida that I know of, but we have just about everything else. If you have a game camera, put it up. It will be back then you will know what you're dealing with. Here we have mostly coyotes but my guess would be a coon. Here most of the predators roam at night. I just bought 2 of these cameras. I have 6 others identical but under different names all work great the drawback is they take a tiny micro SD card. The price is great. Good luck...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CGMQRWP/?tag=backy-20
Last nights visitor.
DSCF00051111 01.jpg

Hey guys thanks for all of your well wishes and advice. You all are correct this will be my last bird lost from a predator. I honestly thought up until today that they where just birds but they can be so much more. Please excuse the morbid nature of the picture but this is Lil Joe. He was my best buddy. Every day when I went out he would follow me, the last 2 weeks when I would mow he would always want to ride with me. I lost a very special friend today and I know at the end of the day it is my fault. There is always more you can do so please don’t wait and make my mistake do that last little thing. Get a trail cam like cmom said so that at least if you go through this you know how and why. Thank you everyone this community really means a lot to me.

Attachments

• 0465AB29-4432-493C-9928-49F4F3F5C431.jpeg
    0465AB29-4432-493C-9928-49F4F3F5C431.jpeg
    732.5 KB · Views: 23
I clicked 'like' but nothing to like about that heartbreaking picture and post. I clicked it to let you know that I read and my heart ached for you. We have all been where you are and shed tears over the small holes we dig to hold those little bodies. :hugs

Hopefully your bad experience will help a new chicken parent avoid the heartache that you are feeling right now.

All I can offer is hugs and prayers. Lil Joe's spirit is flying free.

I feel your pain. I lost a special bird a few months ago. She was a cross beak and needed special care. She knew her name, Gladys and would come when called, jump into our lap when she wanted to be held or step in front of us so we would pick her up. She also liked to ride with me on the tractor. She was very special. She was killed by a fox during the middle of the day. I always let her out but kept track of her. She was 3 years old when the fox got her. I knew it was a risk letting her out and I was distracted. I still can't forgive myself for not putting her in her pen while I was otherwise occupied. Live and learn. Good luck...

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for all of your well wishes and advice. You all are correct this will be my last bird lost from a predator. I honestly thought up until today that they where just birds but they can be so much more. Please excuse the morbid nature of the picture but this is Lil Joe. He was my best buddy. Every day when I went out he would follow me, the last 2 weeks when I would mow he would always want to ride with me. I lost a very special friend today and I know at the end of the day it is my fault. There is always more you can do so please don’t wait and make my mistake do that last little thing. Get a trail cam like cmom said so that at least if you go through this you know how and why. Thank you everyone this community really means a lot to me.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom